Scottish Runners 2016

64 watchers
Mar 2016
8:53pm, 5 Mar 2016
11,468 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Good result Boab :-). The race, to my mind, heads in the wrong direction now.

Any returning G2Eers will be somewhat surprised by the amount of blacktop along the towpath now. Whilst it's undoubtedly a much better surface, especially for cycling, I have kind of mixed feelings about it.
Mar 2016
9:01pm, 5 Mar 2016
11,469 posts
  •  
Dvorak
And if anyone should fancy a bit more XC, House of The Binns by Linlithgow is taking entries on the day tomorrow. 5K, £11. nts.org.uk

(Or if you don't want a goody bag and a chance at winning a Prosecco afternoon tea in the raffle, you could run round the Cally again. Course still visible. I had a go on Thursday: managed not quite a lap and a half. :-o. XC is so no ma gemme. I think I would have been last in the real thing ... if I even finished.)
Mar 2016
1:07pm, 7 Mar 2016
2,078 posts
  •  
baz p
dvorak - yeah noticed that a lot of canal paths around Falkirk and Linlithgow are now tarmac'd. I don't mind as I like running on the road, but I can imagine a lot of people will hate the harder surface. It was a good change to get onto the canal paths.
Mar 2016
1:24pm, 7 Mar 2016
9,718 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Yeah, my last run on the canal about 3 weeks ago was mid upgrade on the stretch from cRBS to Ratho....made it quite tricky as they had dug the old path up but not started laying the new one. Hopefully my next run out there this weekend and it will be finished. Works find for me as I tend to do my MP runs there as its a nice flat surface
Mar 2016
5:27pm, 7 Mar 2016
157 posts
  •  
donran
If you're feeling nostalgic for the old paths then you can still run from Bonnybridge to Underwood Lockhouse. It did look as if they were working their way from Castlecary so I don't know how long it will last.
Mar 2016
10:29pm, 7 Mar 2016
2,862 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
It is disappointing to hear that the Jack Crawford course has got tamer. I used to like running into the finish past my old wilderness playground, a small area of old mine tailings separated from the golf course by a couple of bings. Felt like a huge area to a 9 year old, now just incorporated into a remodelled golf hole.
Mar 2016
6:52am, 8 Mar 2016
4,030 posts
  •  
Snake Doctor
paths on the canal from Hallglen to Linlithgow have no blacktop with no evidence that it will change soon.
Mar 2016
8:06am, 8 Mar 2016
8,050 posts
  •  
Boab
The whole of the canal (Forth - Clyde and Union) are being converted to tarmac, is my understanding. Major works at the momont to tar all the way to Ratho adventure centre from Edinburgh, they have not got far to go.
Mar 2016
9:41am, 8 Mar 2016
11,477 posts
  •  
Dvorak
The bit from Bonnybridge to Camelon was redone last year with a kind of bonded gravel surface and then it's on to a whin dust top which was laid only a couple of years ago (replacing old tarmac). I was on the bit Donran mentioned yesterday, which was puddly potholes. Working from the M80 bridge they've got to Allandale one way and I think to Wyndford lock the other. I could see the work in progress which is a solid asphalt base with a thin blacktop over it. This section may be getting extra reinforcement as it was in a terrible state; and the stretch last Banknock very rarely fully dried out. When I reached the next stretch, to Kilsyth, which has I think never been fully relaid and is a couple of ruts in places, I found myself hoping it will be left alone.

My thought is that the worst sections were unfortunately redone just before the really bad winter, which was followed by a fairly bad winter, and these just destroyed the surfaces and in these, fairly busy parts, it is probably cheaper in the long run to put, effectively a road surface down. It may soften visually, but at the moment it looks completely out of place.
Mar 2016
11:28am, 8 Mar 2016
2,079 posts
  •  
baz p
i quite like the solar lights that they have put in on the canal paths around Falkirk. certainly makes it different when running on the paths at night.

About This Thread

Maintained by K5 Gus
Somewhere to blether about all things to do with Scottish running and races.

There are 26 regular parkruns in Scotland which are held every Saturday at 9:30am.

Current locations are Aberdeen, Ayr, Camperdown, Drumchapel, Dunfermline, Edinburgh, Eglinton, Elgin, Ellon, Falkirk, Ganavan Sands, Greenock, Hazelhead, Inverness, Kirkcaldy, Linwood, Livingston, Perth, Pollock, Portobello, Springburn, St Andrews, Stonehaven, Strathclyde, Tollcross and Victoria.

parkrun.org.uk