Scottish Runners 2016

2 lurkers | 64 watchers
Dec 2016
8:58am, 13 Dec 2016
26,198 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas & Happy New G(rrr)
It's moving to 10K for men and women both. 12k used to be 3 x 4k laps, so I can't see how making it shorter for men would result in an increase in laps? Hopefully not. I could hear Andrew Butchart being announced as coming in to the finish as I set off on my 3rd lap last year...! :-) G
Dec 2016
10:01am, 13 Dec 2016
486 posts
  •  
Ulric
What a joke. English National used to be 10 MILES!! Admittedly that was some time ago but it was good enough for Ron Hill... chopping it back removes a lot of the attraction of the event.
Dec 2016
10:07am, 13 Dec 2016
12,739 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Down with 10K ism! Especially in xc where it really makes no sense.

Having watched it a couple of times, there would never be enough backmarkers to hide behind *bum*. I went and ran on the course a few days after the event last year - made it round 1.5 laps approx. (and I cut out the muddy hill second time).
Dec 2016
10:18am, 13 Dec 2016
160 posts
  •  
Sjjh
I've heard they want to keep the lap process simple so not too many changes in the transition from the junior races and up the age groups.
There was talk of 4 x 2.5k laps which would be absolute madness.

On the entry form they are catering for 7 different race distances throughout the day and usually manage this really well.

Hopefully 3 x 3.33k or thereabouts will be what happens.
Dec 2016
2:48pm, 13 Dec 2016
487 posts
  •  
Ulric
I guess they are following the IAAF who have made both the W and M do 10k from now on to give them equality, a change which Paula Radcliffe probably pushed through. Nothing against the women running as far as the men but not this way.
Dec 2016
7:59pm, 13 Dec 2016
161 posts
  •  
Sjjh
Apparently a number of women campaigned for the distance to be equal, so rather than increase women's race to 12k a middle ground was chosen between the usual 8k and 12k from previous years.

It is only now the case at national level, district championships and county championships have kept it to 4 miles and 6 miles roughly.

Don't want to sound disrespectful but 10k of tough cross country is hard work and on some occasions I have struggled to finish.

10k will put some women off competing.
Dec 2016
9:29am, 14 Dec 2016
26,203 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas & Happy New G(rrr)
But I don't think it's harder for women than for me Sjjh. Many (most?!) women runners that I know are way better than me. And I can haul my sorry a*s around the course(s). And actually the short distance XC courses (4K) are sometimes the hardest. Distance isn't what makes most races hard. Let's face it, many of us do from 60 metres to 60 miles and the hardest ones aren't necessarily the longest.

In my book, the hardest thing in races is the gap between my hopes and expectations and my actual ability! Happy racing everyone! :-) G
Dec 2016
2:12pm, 14 Dec 2016
162 posts
  •  
Sjjh
I think it's a fear factor rather than ability factor.
Agreed quite a lot of women in our club are faster than me at cross country especially the 4k distance ones which I just can't get up for.

The attitude I often get though is that they can't imagine having to do X number of laps when they are accustomed to shorter race distances. This doesn't mean they aren't capable at all just a mentality thing.

I also hear you on the final point, I don't think we run many races and are pleased enough with out performance at the finish.
Dec 2016
12:06am, 15 Dec 2016
210 posts
  •  
damo2000
Anyone here run the Linlithgow 10k - recommended??
SM6
Dec 2016
8:18am, 15 Dec 2016
740 posts
  •  
SM6
Done it once. A good wee race, not flat but worth doing.

About This Thread

Maintained by K5 Gus
Somewhere to blether about all things to do with Scottish running and races.

There are 26 regular parkruns in Scotland which are held every Saturday at 9:30am.

Current locations are Aberdeen, Ayr, Camperdown, Drumchapel, Dunfermline, Edinburgh, Eglinton, Elgin, Ellon, Falkirk, Ganavan Sands, Greenock, Hazelhead, Inverness, Kirkcaldy, Linwood, Livingston, Perth, Pollock, Portobello, Springburn, St Andrews, Stonehaven, Strathclyde, Tollcross and Victoria.

parkrun.org.uk