•  
macca 53
[popular with me @HappyG(rrr) ]
8:49am
8:49am, 7 Oct 2024
51,101 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I realise what I'm saying is pointless and not helpful. "I wish people could stop killing each other." Obvious, of course, so does everyone.

And news outlets can't just be voices for peace, they have to report what happens, and speak to people who have opinions and broadcast those.

But language and reporting is important, I feel. And in the same way that no one should be supporting or advocating for Hamas or Hezbollah or any other terrorist group to be allowed to bomb, or shoot or otherwise attack or harass anyone, it just feels wrong to hear justifications of Israel's attacks, however targeted or for whatever strategic reasons, which are killing high proportions of civilians.

I suppose it's just more of my lily-livered, naïve, pacifist tendencies coming out. So, so sad. :-(
9:00am
9:00am, 7 Oct 2024
32,868 posts
  •  
macca 53
HappyG(rrr) wrote:And news outlets can't just be voices for peace, they have to report what happens, and speak to people who have opinions and broadcast those.

At the moment news outlets are voices for Israel imo, and equate Gaza as “Hamas” and Lebanon as “Hezbollah” if news agencies started openly saying that Israel appears to be killing civilians indiscriminately the anti-semitic card would be played immediately.
9:04am
9:04am, 7 Oct 2024
33,217 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
It's all a terrible mess and getting worse.
9:23am
9:23am, 7 Oct 2024
6,627 posts
  •  
paulcook
jda wrote:I don’t understand your confusion, the question seems fairly straightforward and there’s no limitation on each participant to only indicate one issue.

I certainly misread the question.

Though it said "most important" which I'd - grammatically at least - narrow down to just one option. I don't really see the fair comparison between "you personally" and "Britain" when the figures are different, unless it's trying to say people have no / fewer worries than the country.

Though, I often think these surveys are finding results they weren't looking for, or the questions are skewed - I know for one on the latter point, YouGov ask binary option questions with non-binary answers.

Anyway, perhaps it's just me.
9:23am
9:23am, 7 Oct 2024
203 posts
  •  
Joe1970
I'm sure Al Jazeera would be called Hamas apologists by much of the western media, but they have a documentary on Israeli war crimes that should be required viewing for the likes of our PM when he claims that the country stands with Israel. See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPE6vbKix6A
9:25am
9:25am, 7 Oct 2024
6,628 posts
  •  
paulcook
Johnny Blaze wrote:It's all a terrible mess and getting worse.

Yes, I think the Iranian attack last week and escalation was the most avoidable "war" ever. And it's getting worse because of that.

Netanyahu is just using this situation, and as people also pointed out about Hamas =/= Gaza / Palestine. Hezbollah =/= Lebanon. Houthis =/= Yemen. There's probably others. Netanyahu for one says he's now fighting a war on I think 5 fronts.
SPR
9:27am
9:27am, 7 Oct 2024
46,348 posts
  •  
SPR
The survey is saying people think immigration is a problem but aren't personally affected by immigration.

I do think some things can be problem without lots being personally affected though. Clearly more people have to think poverty is a problem than are affected by it for something to be done about it. The government aren't going to be affected by a lot of the problems they are trying to fix.
SPR
9:29am
9:29am, 7 Oct 2024
46,349 posts
  •  
SPR
It seems to me that Israel's calculation with the Lebanon escalation is they can't lose. This has been in the planning since 2006 according to various sources.
um
9:32am
9:32am, 7 Oct 2024
8,920 posts
  •  
um
@paulcook
From memory the poll was along the lines of
"What issues you think are facing Britain today" and a long list to select any number from.
And then the same list with 'How much are you personally impacted by these"

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.