Politics

5 lurkers | 212 watchers
2 Oct
4:05pm, 2 Oct 2024
33,189 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Well, I mean to say, if someone said they are cutting the A46 bypass development so we can recruit 2000 new GPs, who am I to say that's a bad decision. Who is anybody? Please show your workings.

The big problem we have is a sluggish economy; if a rebalancing of the budget increases economic growth it would be welcome, but the devil is in the detail.

The detail which we do not know...
2 Oct
4:05pm, 2 Oct 2024
51,047 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I have to confess, I do sometimes come to this thread to read the "debate". Sometimes I learn very useful information too. INRATS. That was a new one on me! :-) G
2 Oct
4:07pm, 2 Oct 2024
33,190 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Dilligaff is another good one.
2 Oct
4:07pm, 2 Oct 2024
33,191 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Or dilligaf even.
2 Oct
4:18pm, 2 Oct 2024
28,403 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
I think it’s politicking.

Labour suffered horribly from Liam Byrne’s ‘there’s no money left’.

The £22bn ‘black hole’ is their attempt to tarnish the Tories economic competence for a generation in the same way. The way to make that £22bn black hole real, and stick is to make it have real consequences that won’t be forgotten.

Hence the WFA cut - makes it real for a lot of pensioners. Some headline infrastructure cuts would do that too. They want to maximise the political capital out of it.

I think that’s the wrong approach as there are unintended consequences (being labelled Austerity II etc), but they really want people to ‘feel’ that £22bn.
2 Oct
4:21pm, 2 Oct 2024
19,267 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
Johnny Blaze wrote:Or dilligaf even.

Double F could add "flying". It works...
2 Oct
4:30pm, 2 Oct 2024
31,103 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Fields wrote:I certainly did remember. And I am sure everyone else mostly did too. Mostly. Maybe I can ask a question now chief. Do you think publicly announcing someone is kittened is a personal attack? I am not sure myself. It’s symptomatic to me of someone unwilling to debate or listen to opposing views - today it was announced as a response to someone debating with them. I don’t understand why someone would post on a politics thread and not want to engage with others. But then my debating positions are frequently called Simplism by them so perhaps I am too simplistic to be on the thread. No need to answer; just one to consider.

I am glad that you did remember and hope that you will continue to do so. There have been times in the past when you appear to have forgotten or ignored this advice (and other advice about the content of your posts). As a result, you've missed out on a great deal of opportunities to engage in debate with the whole community, not just with one user.

I think in general announcing the blocking of another user is not ideal - the approach I would take personally would be to block and move on. However I have the particular pleasure of needing to see what everyone has posted so I never block anyone, nor do I appear to have been blocked by anyone. It certainly does seem to be popular thing with some users though.

If someone did not wish to engage with me, I might indeed take it personally - but by that I mean that before I laid the blame at their door, I might first ask myself whether I have gone about engaging with that person in a decent manner. Certainly, knowing that someone had blocked me, I would not call them out by name dozens of times over, as that could easily be viewed as antagonistic and counter-productive.

Overall though, the subject of entrenched opinions and the unwillingness to be open to other views is a fascinating one that seems to have politics in its grip. Perhaps we would all be more successful if we could get beyond this.
2 Oct
5:01pm, 2 Oct 2024
25,730 posts
  •  
larkim
TROSaracen wrote:The way to make that £22bn black hole real, and stick is to make it have real consequences that won’t be forgotten. Hence the WFA cut - makes it real for a lot of pensioners.

Even as a Starmerite, I don't think taking the political hit they've taken on WFA would have been worth it to establish that narrative.

Infrastructure I could see potentially, especially if it was targetted at Tory constituencies.

But no matter how little sympathy one has for the pensioners who will lose out (of which I have relatively little, apart from those who will be impoverished due to the fact that they are not able or willing to claim the means tested benefits that would give them access to the WFA), any political advisor would have advised against it on political grounds, no matter what the subtlety of the wider point.
2 Oct
5:02pm, 2 Oct 2024
25,731 posts
  •  
larkim
fetcheveryone wrote:Overall though, the subject of entrenched opinions and the unwillingness to be open to other views is a fascinating one that seems to have politics in its grip. Perhaps we would all be more successful if we could get beyond this.

👏👏👏👏
2 Oct
5:08pm, 2 Oct 2024
22,214 posts
  •  
Chrisull
**Ponders** has anyone ever kittened fetch? And would you know??

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.