Politics

13 lurkers | 212 watchers
20 Aug
9:13pm, 20 Aug 2024
4,402 posts
  •  
Cheg
I go one further. I scan and pack as I go. Love it.
21 Aug
12:47am, 21 Aug 2024
22,915 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
jda wrote:Self-service? What’s that? <smug Booths shopper emoticon>

But £££ for the 'privilege' to shop at one
21 Aug
9:32am, 21 Aug 2024
22,953 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Cheg wrote:I go one further. I scan and pack as I go. Love it.

Absolutely agree. I have a very limited time-margin available for shopping, I don't want it to become something that takes up a significant part of my week. Every minute saved is time I can spend with my family. Currently I use a 40 minute time slot which exists because I'm on dad taxi duties for both my kids. If I were having to pick, unload, queue, transact and pack it'd take me longer than I'd like.

Sorry, but it isn't my obligation to provide employment opportunities for other people. I'm just a worker myself.
21 Aug
9:43am, 21 Aug 2024
25,397 posts
  •  
larkim
I've never personally seen the "scan your barcode to escape" type supermarket, but heard it's on the rise. We use Tesco's scan as you shop and almost never get any checks at the checkout, which surprises me as it would be alarmingly easy to add extra to the basket. I know the economics is that if they don't have to staff your journey through the store they can accept some theft losses, but I suspect that's being pushed a little more by some; they have such good stock management systems they'll know pretty accurately what the level of theft is from their stores, so I guess they just prioritise those which have the highest incidence, and then it's the (majority) honest customers that get riled by the new inconveniences.
21 Aug
10:02am, 21 Aug 2024
4,404 posts
  •  
Cheg
Scan to escape is weird, I had it in Dubai and struggled immensely. I also hate shops where you can't browse and then leave without buying anything. Everything is gated off and the only way to exit is through a till.

In terms of the self scan and the checks. I have used it maybe 30 times and been checked probably 3 times. It is a fairly painless task. The worst is when only one of the five tills are working and you then queue to pay which takes the fun out of it somewhat.
SPR
21 Aug
10:03am, 21 Aug 2024
45,770 posts
  •  
SPR
Organisations are only ever going to employ as many people as they need. If technology means they need less, then that's what they will do. Technology meaning less work should be good except the way we organise society means we work to live so that causes issues when technology takes over certain roles.

Re what Cheg described regarding lower minimum for younger staff. You'd hope that the more experienced staff are worth more than a one level minimum but I can see that if the market means you can get both for the minimum the inexperienced person will likely suffer.
21 Aug
10:14am, 21 Aug 2024
22,954 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I went to an Albert Heijn in the Hague the other week.

Self-scanned my provisions, was asked by the till at the end if I wanted my ticket.

I pressed "nee", only to try to leave and be confronted by a barcode controlled prison.

I don't understand why I was given the option to not have a ticket...
3M
21 Aug
10:17am, 21 Aug 2024
24,604 posts
  •  
3M
Of course, having an under 18 checking you are over 18 for alcohol, tobacco and sharp blade purchases doesn't work in supermarkets. Even if they're cheap(er) to employ.

Funnily enough, I like Tesco because if I don't see what I want I can leave easily - there's even an exit gate (which passes the security guard!) if I don't fancy wandering through one of the spacious, wide open checkout lanes. I dislike Lidl for the exact opposite - it's a challenge getting out if I didn't buy anything, and although there's no security getting past the inevitable queue (because there's never quite enough tills open) and then past the person actually at the till in the unreasonably narrow gap between tills. Trust vs. an assumption of dishonesty?

I do like the Lidl prices though....

Is this politics, I ask myself? ;-)
21 Aug
10:18am, 21 Aug 2024
6,246 posts
  •  
paulcook
It's politics why the world employs more and more security guards but doesn't fix the reasons why we need more and more security guards.
SPR
21 Aug
10:34am, 21 Aug 2024
45,771 posts
  •  
SPR
Lidl is a real living wage employer and I believe was one of the first supermarkets to be one. Obviously they could be other ways they do things that we would think aren't fair though.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.