Politics

6 lurkers | 212 watchers
7 Jul
3:47pm, 7 Jul 2024
43,224 posts
  •  
Nellers
Has it..........has it got a bit snippy in here since Thursday or was it always like this?

I think HappyG is alright too Mrs S.
jda
7 Jul
3:47pm, 7 Jul 2024
17,422 posts
  •  
jda
TBH I haven't heard any calls to change the voting system from the right wing. But maybe I've not been paying attention. Who has said what?
7 Jul
3:50pm, 7 Jul 2024
28,415 posts
  •  
richmac
Reform are fans of PR but were before. I've not heard the Tories chirping
J2R
7 Jul
5:07pm, 7 Jul 2024
5,423 posts
  •  
J2R
Apart from the xenophobia/racism angle, one of the things that Reform are really pushing is the idea that they would do politics differently, and this obviously has appeal for many. But this is based entirely on the proposition that the Conservatives and Labour are "two cheeks of the same arse", something which there is no evidence for as Labour have been out of power for 14 years. As I've said before on here, though, it's the fact that the Tories have been SO bad which has turned people against all politicians, and Labour have been burned by this.

But what happens if Labour now very evidently do politics differently themselves, as seems quite likely? Won't it pull the rug out from under Reform's feet? Won't Reform then become much less relevant? I am reasonably optimistic that this can happen.

(The irony, of course, is that in all the areas the Tories have been bad, Reform would be worse. More venal, more stupid and inconsistent, more incompetent, more corrupt. They're not a high quality bunch of people).
jda
7 Jul
5:40pm, 7 Jul 2024
17,423 posts
  •  
jda
However well Labour govern, they won’t actually be able to make life measurably better for most people in the next few years, so it will probably depend more on how the press treat them than on anything they do.

Which doesn’t bode particularly well, given the press we’ve got.
7 Jul
5:57pm, 7 Jul 2024
32,729 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Fields wrote:Johnny Blaze wrote:On the face of it, Trump is stubbornly hanging in there and disproving my theory, but on one level he is confirming it: he is quite consumed by indictments, convictions, felonies and assorted legal jeopardies - all as a result of his entitled narcissism and psychopathy, so on one level he is already in Hell. A humble man would have accepted the election result in 2020 and retired with dignity. He is not that. History will condemn him for his behaviour. At 78 a normal man would be enjoying what remains of his life with reflection, leisure and grandchildren but he is in a daily hell of his own making. Interesting that you equate normality with having grandchildren and therefore children. Says a lot about you

Trump has grandchildren does he not?

Can you conceivably make a rational post every now and then that is unencumbered by ad hominem attacks and non-sequiturs?
7 Jul
6:26pm, 7 Jul 2024
28,416 posts
  •  
richmac
You have to go with the evidence JB, so no
7 Jul
6:41pm, 7 Jul 2024
9,890 posts
  •  
simbil
Exit polls soon in France, will be interesting to see which way they go.
7 Jul
6:47pm, 7 Jul 2024
1,101 posts
  •  
Fenners-Reborn
jda wrote:However well Labour govern, they won’t actually be able to make life measurably better for most people in the next few years, so it will probably depend more on how the press treat them than on anything they do. Which doesn’t bode particularly well, given the press we’ve got.

I totally disagree, instead of lining the pockets of already wealthy benefactors Labour will serve the people. On Day 1 they jettisoned the ridiculous Rwanda policy, which will save money, or even get money back.
7 Jul
6:47pm, 7 Jul 2024
11,466 posts
  •  
Fields
We are all fine with JB dog whistle homophobia then?

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.