Politics

10 lurkers | 212 watchers
Nov 2019
11:19am, 26 Nov 2019
22,927 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
And that's part of the problem. If you are Jewish and you see Labour people expressing support and solidarity for Palestinian causes it must be kind of hard not to see it as a provocation...
Nov 2019
11:24am, 26 Nov 2019
3,785 posts
  •  
Raemond
Oddly enough, all my Jewish friends are Corbynistas.
SPR
Nov 2019
11:25am, 26 Nov 2019
29,702 posts
  •  
SPR
Child poverty to rise under Conservative plans: bbc.co.uk
jda
Nov 2019
11:31am, 26 Nov 2019
5,850 posts
  •  
jda
That's another example of a "BBC Accident" coming hard on the heels of the last one where they edited out people laughing at Johnson in the QT show. The original version of that article had a completely invented "could rise" (which even appeared in quotes, despite not being a quote) and was only corrected to truly represent the report after people complained.
Nov 2019
11:36am, 26 Nov 2019
33,384 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I used to think that the BBC had a slightly "trendy-leftie" (my quotation marks - I thought you could use quotation marks to indicate - so-called or supposed?) bias. The Conservative party used to complain about them. They now seem to be very establishment and if not right wing, then certainly conservative with a small c. Or maybe they're just a bit rubbish, and their inaccuracies are only seen as bias when one spots the ones that disagree with one's own viewpoint?
Nov 2019
11:38am, 26 Nov 2019
35,318 posts
  •  
Nellers
Johnny Blaze, not for all Jewish people in my experience. Again, it’s conflating the religion withe the Israeli State. Supporting some Palestinian causes and opposing some Israeli policies are not contra to Jewish core beliefs built are difficult to disentangle in a sound bite/Twitter-length comment, so easy to misconstrue or misrepresent.
Nov 2019
11:43am, 26 Nov 2019
27,159 posts
  •  
macca 53
My earlier post was obviously a sweeping generalisation and there will definitely be some seats where an LD vote will be relevant (Tory/LD marginals especially). DUP have (allegedly) reached out and indicated a willingness to work with Labour, so a partnership of Lab/SNP/DUP (with a shove from Green and Plaid) may well appeal to retainers of all sides, although Tory remainers will have to hold their noses tightly.

Basically, however I think the huge leads reported by polls for the Tories are wide of the mark by some way.....(fingers crossed)!
Nov 2019
11:43am, 26 Nov 2019
9,576 posts
  •  
larkim
The thing is, our society is made up of many sub-groupings, some of which coalesce around heritage, faith, lineage, historical reality (sometimes uncomfortable ones) etc.

There are power groups associated with access to education, money, influence etc.

It's an understandable trait of humans to form groupings where we find shared interests, backgrounds, etc, and perhaps also share common outlooks.

So C of E heritage, Oxbridge educated offspring of the upper-classes of England have a strong power base and influence. That's a really obvious and well accepted group making up a large proportion of what is considered to be "the estalblishment".

There are many other such cohorts with varying levels of supposed influence.

There is a cohort of influential individuals whose heritage is associated with the Jewish faith / ethnoreligion - in fact, there are probably plenty of such Jewish based cohorts, with a number of difference outlooks across all political and economic viewpoints. One of them is stereotyped as being the "bankers", "business men", "money lenders".

There is nothing unexpected about like-minded people with similar heritage or upbringings finding strength in acting collectively if they have shared goals.

There is a view of some on the left that both of these above cohorts are fundamentally pro-"Capitalism" and "Tory values".

Criticism of "The estalblsihment" is straightforward and inoffensive. The left struggle though with trying to take on any shared political or economic agenda which may be promoted by groupings which are linked by their Jewish heritage, and more than that - they overlay it with gross stereotypes about Jewish financiers which they seem to be unable to see as the sort of stereotypes that if they were being protrayed as applying to other social or religious communities they'd be themselves decrying as racist / offensive etc.

I get the impression that there are lots and lots of Labour activitist who would just love to splurt out "But British business is being controlled by the Shylocks and Fagins of the banking indisutry", and that sort of attitude is at the heart of the issues the left has in the UK.

Corbyn is launching race and faith policies today. He's not going to have an easy ride if he can't clearly communicate in simple terms how abhorrent he finds anti-Semitism. And I'm not sure he's sufficiently media-skilled to be able to find the right phrases to avoid tripping himself up.
Nov 2019
11:45am, 26 Nov 2019
6,928 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
I’ve got conflicted views on Israel tbh. My grandma told me about her experiences dealing with the aftermath of the King David Hotel as she was working in what was Palestine at that time. In her view the local Jewish and Arab Muslim populations coexisted well - she was a nurse so worked and interacted with all sides.

Like most interventions in the Middle East, Creating Israel was perhaps good intentions but a total mess up due to bias, short term local issues / alliances, horse trading and unforeseen consequences. That said I don’t support Israeli land grabs but I do support the right of both states to exist.
Nov 2019
11:48am, 26 Nov 2019
6,929 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
For me the BBC is simultaneously conservative, traditional, establishment, metropolitan and “trendy leftie”.

So even if it was full of communists they’d still support the monarchy, the government and want to go to Glyndebourne and the Lords Test.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.