parkrun thread

503 watchers
20 Oct
7:43pm, 20 Oct 2024
11,470 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
stevieg wrote:I always think it's the set of volunteers not being available that is the main threat, especially the ones that ludicrously want 30 odd.

I don’t think that it is “ludicrous” to have 30 volunteers if the nature of the course and numbers of participants warrants it.
20 Oct
8:03pm, 20 Oct 2024
121 posts
  •  
Meep Meep
Cerrertonia wrote: You've made a few jibes about the CEO's age @Meep Meep but 40 really doesn't seem young to be head of what is actually quite a small non-profit organisation in terms of revenue and employee numbers.

Not really. I've called him a boy. It's not actually a reference to his age. It's a reference to his skill level. Paul, Chris Wright, Tom Williams and Nick Pearson were all around 40 or younger at that level of responsibility and seemed fine in their roles.

In Russ' tenure we've seen Tom Williams leave without clear explanation, the entire Ireland team leave, a magazine launch and fail, continuation of constant problems with retail lines, social media channels turn to dust, and apparently Russ is nowhere to be found. He doesn't engage with media, the public, or volunteers.
20 Oct
8:52pm, 20 Oct 2024
23,820 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Now be fair, he engaged over the subject of the stats removal, was 'economical with the truth', doubled down, and has kept a low profile since. However his restructuring of the parkrun organisation has seemed long overdue, time will tell if it has been done the right way.
20 Oct
8:57pm, 20 Oct 2024
122 posts
  •  
Meep Meep
Fair points 57.5. I am actually genuinely worried Parkrun is going to disappear though. It would be a great shame.
20 Oct
10:22pm, 20 Oct 2024
25,857 posts
  •  
larkim
Tom Williams had vastly less experience when he took the reins. Your argument has zero substance.

There's a separate question about whether the current CEO is any good.
20 Oct
11:01pm, 20 Oct 2024
123 posts
  •  
Meep Meep
Oof. Larkim getting feisty. Has that ever happened before?
21 Oct
3:29am, 21 Oct 2024
979 posts
  •  
njosmith
Back to Battersea Park parkrun. I used to live halfway between Clapham Common and Battersea Park. The first time I heard about a potential parkrun at Battersea Park would have been pre 2010. At the time Wandsworth Council wanted an event fee and it didn't happen. When Tooting Common (which is also in Wandsworth) started in 2016 they had a six month trial period also and I seem to remember there was some kind on unenforced (and uneforceable!) cap on numbers. Looking at the numbers for both Clapham Common and Tooting Common the numbers are both way down (CC by almost half from 924 the week before) so I suspect there were a lot of local tourists for Event 2 at Battersea Park and most will move back to their regular events.
21 Oct
8:21am, 21 Oct 2024
86 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
Correct - Tooting had a 500 cap that we went over constantly but nothing was done about it (I was on the core team for a little while - it's still my local). It got very silly before the pandemic - one January it got over 1000, for a course that struggles with 500. Usually it gets 600-700 now.
I know the ED for Battersea and I feel for her after that second week. People just can't seem to help themselves. Battersea's just three miles from me and it does leave a hole in my LonDone map but I am going to give it a good while before I go.
21 Oct
8:53am, 21 Oct 2024
1,182 posts
  •  
The Mussile
Its the mental gymnastics done to justify peoples presence at an event when they have been asked to stay away that never fails to astound - One chap near me crowed about how he attended an inaugural knowing he had been asked not to and then straight faced told others to stay away. Many parkrunners have such a sense of entitlement that is unrivalled. The parkrun tourism challenge stuff has been nothing but negative for parkrun IMO - I'm not sure when these clowns will realise that no-one cares that they have completed 4 alphabets and travelled to do the extra national events
21 Oct
9:02am, 21 Oct 2024
124 posts
  •  
Meep Meep
I heard a story once about an "inaugural bagger" who got so frustrated that he couldn't find out the starting date of a new parkrun he had got wind of (the team really wanted a quiet launch) that he phoned a bunch of local cafes in the area pretending to be a member of the core team and was asking to confirm that they had been notified of the upcoming start date. It did actually work and the cafe told him "yes we know to expect you guys on X date".

He shared the date on social media of course. As you do.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hendo
A discussion of all things parkrun.

Here's a wiki giving brief reviews of parkruns up and down the land:

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=545

parkruns with restart permission: google.com

Note: Hendo is a boy.