Olympics Paris 2024

1 lurker | 46 watchers
2 Aug
12:12pm, 2 Aug 2024
4,346 posts
  •  
Cheg
Going back to the swimmer. There were some doping accusations by the other athletes. Then someone came out and said it’s only because he’s Chinese.

I don’t know any of the history of it, but it will an interesting one to track.
2 Aug
12:14pm, 2 Aug 2024
10,534 posts
  •  
GordonG
here's a bit of background to the swimming issue

bbc.co.uk
2 Aug
12:24pm, 2 Aug 2024
6,037 posts
  •  
paulcook
GordonG wrote:BBC just saying that a new event at the next olympics will be running down a beach, jumping into a canoe, rowing around some buoys, then running back down the beach to the finish line!!

Is that the life saving?
2 Aug
12:34pm, 2 Aug 2024
43,477 posts
  •  
Nellers
Sounds like Rowing Beach Sprint, which the rowing world governing body are pushing as a new exciting version of the sport. I didn’t know they’d got it into the Olympic programme though. Presumably just as a demo?
2 Aug
12:44pm, 2 Aug 2024
6,039 posts
  •  
paulcook
Reminds me of the Gummers How fell run, which includes a row across part of Windermere!
2 Aug
12:55pm, 2 Aug 2024
10,535 posts
  •  
GordonG
Nellers wrote:Sounds like Rowing Beach Sprint, which the rowing world governing body are pushing as a new exciting version of the sport. I didn’t know they’d got it into the Olympic programme though. Presumably just as a demo?

yes i think it's called something like that. the Lightweight Pairs rowing events (M and F) which Team GB won this morning is being dropped to make way for the beach rowing thingy. So that Team GB pair will forever be the Olympic champions in that event.
2 Aug
12:57pm, 2 Aug 2024
43,479 posts
  •  
Nellers
https://youtu.be/JYf6lRiKAyE?si=rcFmLirhAn8UA-KM

This is what Beach Sprint looks like in the UK.
2 Aug
1:07pm, 2 Aug 2024
5,946 posts
  •  
FreshStart
Watching the show jumping final :-)
2 Aug
1:09pm, 2 Aug 2024
6,040 posts
  •  
paulcook
According to the medal totals I've seen, there were 14 rowing golds in 2024, and due to be 15 for 2028.
2 Aug
1:20pm, 2 Aug 2024
10,536 posts
  •  
GordonG
silver guaranteed in trampolining!!

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).