Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

1 lurker | 79 watchers
28 May
9:02am, 28 May 2024
5,495 posts
  •  
Cheeky’s Dad
Teasels will reappear year after year too, though I can’t remember if they are perennials or just self seed
28 May
9:11am, 28 May 2024
11,028 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
They’re biennial but do self seed very freely.
28 May
11:19am, 28 May 2024
3,850 posts
  •  
Lesley C
The results from he ivy experiment are inconclusive at the moment. I think it has worked on some bits but not all. I picked it all out from the boards this morning and have put on more vinegar this time with salt. Will report back.

Peaking through the fence it's just everywhere and all up their side of the fence. I don't understand why they don't tidy up their borders in their garden. I need to chop some of their rhododendron too but will wait till flowers have gone.
3 Jun
12:34pm, 3 Jun 2024
54,780 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
is there a way to get rid of ants in the lawn?

I have several mounds of soil from the buggers!! which gets messy when mowing the lawn
3 Jun
12:34pm, 3 Jun 2024
54,781 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Lesley our Ivy is half ours and half next door and a BIG problem!
25 Jun
5:43pm, 25 Jun 2024
55,439 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Can someone identify this please
It's years old and we never do anymore just keeps going!

Also why are my bean leaves going yellow too much rain? Or are they supposed to be this colour as golden dwarf beans?

Finally I noticed a couple of trees have off leaves is this the weather again?

Thanks 😊

Oh any update on the ivy Vs vinegar experiment?!
25 Jun
6:51pm, 25 Jun 2024
3,901 posts
  •  
Lesley C
I'm not sure it worked, although I think it slowed the growth. I did pick some off the fence the other day. I did give it another spray. Problem is the neighbours have so much it's just going to keep coming back I think.

Our runner beans are quite yellow, but are getting flowers on them. We are new to growing veg and the seeds were free if we don't get anything we aren't going to be disappointed.
26 Jun
2:07am, 26 Jun 2024
27,823 posts
  •  
Dvorak
@EvilPixie , I think your plant is campanula.

rhs.org.uk

Generally hardy and profuse - except when I've tried to grow it.
26 Jun
6:48am, 26 Jun 2024
5,200 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
@EvilPixie your 3rd photo with the leaves curling up looks like my cherry tree where it has loads of little black bugs on the underside of the curled up leaves - do you have the bugs? If so, spray them with water with a little washing up liquid, that’ll kill them off but won’t kill any eggs so repeat a few times.
26 Jun
6:49am, 26 Jun 2024
5,201 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
Also, I can recommend an app called Picture This which I use for plant identification and it tells you if the plant is healthy and if not some suggestions

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.