Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

1 lurker | 79 watchers
Jun 2023
8:42am, 29 Jun 2023
105,511 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Dvorak, they are edible honeysuckle berries. The plants are dioaceous, so you need a male and a female. I have one male and two females. They are a bit like blueberries and the earliest of my soft fruit, filling a gap until the strawberries and blueberries start.
I have loads of rasps on the canes I never cut back because I am too ill to garden most of the time. I recommend letting your Autumn rasps run riot! Much tastier and prific than my meagre crop from the summer rasps.
Jun 2023
8:58am, 29 Jun 2023
11,279 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
That’s what I used to do with my autumn raspberries at our last house - leave last year’s canes to fruit in the summer, then cut them down and get fruit in the autumn from the new canes.

I’ve not yet got around to finding somewhere for raspberries at this house.
Jun 2023
9:19am, 29 Jun 2023
27,051 posts
  •  
Dvorak
My autumn rasps (yellow) pretty much died off last year. They were never as tasty as the red ones, and went off much quicker.
Jun 2023
9:48am, 29 Jun 2023
37,609 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Waiting on my Cherries....
Jun 2023
10:21am, 29 Jun 2023
4,880 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
I got a small patio cherry tree about 2 years ago and thought I'd have to wait a good 4 years or so for fruit but this year we have had some delicious cherries from it. Only about 40 so far and maybe another 20 still ripening but I'm really pleased. I'll need to figure out how and when to prune it so that I don't wreck it now that I know the fruit are so delicious!
Jun 2023
7:45pm, 30 Jun 2023
22,244 posts
  •  
Columba
Hanneke and Fragile - I've done the same thing this year with my autumn raspberries (not intentionally; just too disorganised to cut them back) and there's lots of fruit on them.

There doesn't seem to be a single cherry on my cherry tree this year. There was blossom. Maybe it was finished off by a late frost.
Jun 2023
8:55pm, 30 Jun 2023
105,646 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Dvorak: the birds don't eat yellow rasps, always a sign of them not being very tasty! I have some that self seeded themselves amidst the sacrificial red currants.
Jul 2023
9:49am, 17 Jul 2023
8,843 posts
  •  
KatieB
Morning, Morning Light thread, I'm new to growing tomatoes and have two or three lovely big plants growing outside. Plenty of green toms atm, how quickly should I expect them to ripen? Or is it weather dependant?
Jul 2023
10:48am, 17 Jul 2023
106,708 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Sunlight dependent mostly but they also like it warm. So very weather dependent.
To help ripen the tomatoes, you must take out all side shoots though, and take off all leaves up to the lowest trusses of tomatoes. This concentrates the energy of the plants into making toms and allows more light to them for ripening and air circulation.
Good luck! Nothing beats a home grown tomato!
3M
Jul 2023
12:14pm, 17 Jul 2023
21,634 posts
  •  
3M
Except maybe a home grown cucumber. Who knew cucumbers actually taste of something?

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.