Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

79 watchers
Apr 2023
10:13am, 27 Apr 2023
37,069 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
I think it's been the up and down temperatures. My Courgettes, Carrots, Parsnips, toms are all fine. Even my onions are swelling nicely :-o
Apr 2023
10:15am, 27 Apr 2023
25,016 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
Onions and potatoes planted yesterday. It felt quite exciting.
Apr 2023
10:16am, 27 Apr 2023
102,810 posts
  •  
Hanneke
They are temperamental so and so's in my experience. They do like it warm. They use to romp ahead in the propagator but once potted up into 9 cm pots and on a heat mat they started sulking.
3M
Apr 2023
10:23am, 27 Apr 2023
21,174 posts
  •  
3M
My cucumbers are doing nicely! Telepathy and Femspot both. I may have too many plants.... Ditto the tomatoes! They're slowed down since I put them in the greenhouse though.

PSB sown yesterday, the calabrese from a couple of weeks back are going like gangbusters! The onions are also flourishing, and I sowed lettuce and Pak choi into the veg bed yesterday too!

Spring is springing!
Apr 2023
10:47am, 27 Apr 2023
102,815 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Not here! It has been so cold. Frost every night and temperatures in the single figures :(
Apr 2023
5:49pm, 28 Apr 2023
9,631 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
With regards to my pond which asked advice about a couple of pages back, I took some advice from the Gardener’s World forum where the consensus was that there is to much decaying foliage in the bottom of the pond.
Today I’ve emptied it, recovered three newts and two frogs which I put into a small pool temporarily.
I bought some new plants and filled the pond back up with water from the butt. I was able to put two of the newts back in but the other newt and frogs had gone off to do their own thing. No doubt they’ll find their way back.
I’ve left the sludge out to dry off and will add that to the compost.
A busy but rewarding day.
Apr 2023
7:49pm, 28 Apr 2023
102,887 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Sounds good ER!

I positioned a new Saracenea on my pond margin. I bought it at a rare plant fair Wednesday. It is a thing of otherworldly beauty.

I also removed all dead plants from the greenhouse. Sadly, when I was unable to water, my friend didn't realise that some dormant plants were actually not dead and needed some water 😩 I watered the rest. I would really like to start moving some things out, but we do get some harsh late frosts here, well into May.

I do now have enough room to bring the heat mat and propagators out tomorrow and start sowing seeds at last!
Apr 2023
8:22pm, 28 Apr 2023
9,634 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
Is the Saracenia in a basket Hann or planted into the ground?
Apr 2023
8:52pm, 28 Apr 2023
102,891 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Everything is in special bags and baskets on different depth shelves. It has started to do its own thing though. I have had it 3 years.
May 2023
5:33pm, 11 May 2023
11,114 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Wonderful. It’s gooseberry sawfly time again. That time of year when I spend ages staring at my gooseberry plants.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.