Miaow, Purr, Yawn!

67 watchers
Sep 2017
6:01pm, 27 Sep 2017
3,136 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Peanut - our third cat - lived in the dining room for a month then there were short visits in by the other two or out by her. After two months they had got used to each other but she and cat number 2 (Sherlock) really don't like each other and avoid each other where they can. There is some chasing and jumping on each other but it is dying down. It is easier with young cats I think - Peanut was about 4 months when we got her - and with girls - despite the name Sherlock is female! My friend has two boys that go out alternately - she gets up at ridiculous hours to get one in and let the other out.
Sep 2017
6:14pm, 27 Sep 2017
1,263 posts
  •  
Lesley C
Well not long back from the vet. Bloods taken checking liver kidneys etc. He sat very still as the vet took the samples. Been given antibiotics, steroids and b12 injections. Will see what happens now.
AJH
Sep 2017
12:52pm, 29 Sep 2017
117 posts
  •  
AJH
Thanks Cyclops, I guess we need to wait it out. You are right Thunder and Bolt were 3 months old when they met and only tried to kill each other for a week :-D
Oct 2017
8:41am, 17 Oct 2017
2,398 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Oreo slept on the bed all day yesterday, was out all night and came back like this. He doesn’t seem bothered though.

MH
Oct 2017
9:04am, 17 Oct 2017
514 posts
  •  
MH
That looks a little nasty. Cats have pretty high pain thresholds, and even if it doesn't hurt him it's got a good chance of getting infected. I'd make up a saline solution and bathe it. Have to admit I'd probably go for a trip to the vet as well.
Oct 2017
9:24am, 17 Oct 2017
11,290 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
One of our two has been diagnosed with the start of kidney problems - he lost his appetite completely a few weeks ago (having not eaten much before that). He has lost a lot of weight - to the extent that he feels like a bag of bones when you pick him up. He spent most of the weekend at the vet's on a drip, and now has a course of pills (that we struggle to get down him) and special food. We were warned that cats tend not to like this food and so it has proved - he just isn't eating it. We've tried both the varieties the vet sold us and have now ordered some on-line (which is slightly cheaper - but still £2 a day!) - if he won't eat that either I'm not quite sure what we do? Has anyone any experience of dealing with this? So far the vet hasn't been clear about the prognosis. Smudge is only 10, but they were rescue cats and we know their mother died of feline AIDS, and that their health was severely compromised as kittens.
Oct 2017
10:06am, 17 Oct 2017
5,143 posts
  •  
sallykate
AL my cat was diagnosed in Feb 2016 with stage 4 kidney disease. He was 11, it had come out of nowhere. Couldn't persuade him to keep the meds down and he didn't like the food either! I decided just to feed him whatever I could, as anything was better than nothing. So I did end up buying a lot of ready-cooked chicken, ham, beef, and making sure there were bowls of water around the flat and outside to encourage him to drink. They wee a lot more with compromised kidneys so they need to drink more. I even mashed chicken into water to make a sort of puree for him.

The vet wouldn't be specific about prognosis but I found a paper which suggested that with a diagnosis of stage 4, life expectancy was between 35 and 100 days. If Smudge is not so severe he could go on for years, it is a manageable condition. If you can get him to eat the low-protein food it will help ease the stress on his kidneys. Mix it with his usual food maybe?

Lenin lasted five months, which surprised the vets given how high his creatinine levels were. He was happy and active right to the end.
Oct 2017
12:38pm, 17 Oct 2017
11,291 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Thanks SK that's helpful. We were a bit worried about mixing but maybe we'll try that & reduce the proportion. As long as he isn't suffering we don't mind - but he is so thin it's a concern.
Oct 2017
11:07pm, 17 Oct 2017
5,144 posts
  •  
sallykate
AL as long as he eats that's the main thing - if he's metabolising his own muscle (hence losing weight) that's much worse than eating normal cat food (or so my vet told me). Nin was an extreme case, his creatinine levels were 600+ at diagnosis which is way into stage 4.
Oct 2017
4:29pm, 19 Oct 2017
1,420 posts
  •  
Dillthedog57
Mog is feelings no the cold I think.

About This Thread

Maintained by
A thread for those owned by cats, as we cannot possibly go onto the Bark and whine thread, its for d...