Miaow, Purr, Yawn!

1 lurker | 67 watchers
Apr 2015
10:32am, 7 Apr 2015
1,046 posts
  •  
Spleen
Sorry to hear that MrsR.

One of the few things that genuinely enrages me is the prediliction of certain vets for prolonging an animal's life for no purpose. In a more cynical mood I would add the words "other than to inflate their bank balance" but doctors are often guilty of the same sin even when money doesn't come into it. It is simply that they aren't willing to admit that there is nothing they can do to help.

15 is an incredible age for a cat (especially a tom), he must have had a good life.
K9
Apr 2015
1:49pm, 7 Apr 2015
1,036 posts
  •  
K9
Not all doctors Spleen....

(But I digress)
Apr 2015
8:08am, 8 Apr 2015
617 posts
  •  
UltraMrsR
Sigh

I felt awful taking Breezer to the vet yesterday, even had a tear or 2 in the car.

He has lost a lot of weight, dehydrated, temp ok, couldn't feel anything in the stomach area. Before I knew it he was whisked away for blood tests, came back and had a cocktail injection of antibiotics, antacid and something else. Appointment book for Friday to check on him and get blood results.

There was no word of warning that the blood tests were going to add over £400 to my credit card (yes, we have insurance and I'll get that back) and I bought home a rather grumpy cat with a large bald patch on his neck.

When I read Spleens comment I felt I had been had! Will see what they say Friday, I've made it clear no investigative surgery, I'll only put him through that if it will make him better.

I haven't seen Breezer this morning, I can only guess he's gone out which is good.

Thank you for all your comments x
Apr 2015
10:51am, 8 Apr 2015
67,750 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Thank goodness you have insurance. Poor Breezer, I hope it is good news and he can be fixed...
Apr 2015
3:49pm, 8 Apr 2015
1,774 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Funny how cats are so expensive at the vets. I have horses and they have never racked up bills like the cats have over the years. I hope it is good news for you UltraMrsR.
K9
Apr 2015
6:08pm, 8 Apr 2015
1,039 posts
  •  
K9
At least the blood tests will show what is what, and then you can make a sensible decision.

From the vet's perspective, money aside, it must be very difficult to decide that an animal is at the end of it's life if they can see things that can reasonably be treated - dehydration, infection etc...

At the end of the day, the path of least resistance (suffering) is generally best, so fingers crossed that you can find this for Breezer. x
Apr 2015
7:30am, 9 Apr 2015
21,090 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
I have spent over £500 at the vet in the last week.
No insurance as Maximus is FIV+ so couldn't get it.

He is sixteen with heart and kidney problems currently under control with meds and special diet. It's only a matter of time really and once his quality of life goes or he is in pain then we will let him go.
16 is a great age and we've had him for many years (he was a Battersea cat) of perfect health. I think I have probably spent £50 on vet fees until this point.

I won't be eating until pay day, mind you!
Apr 2015
11:58am, 9 Apr 2015
67,756 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I didn't insure Lasya, as I got her as a kitten. I take the view that the money saved on monthly payments will be more than the future vet bills if any...
Apr 2015
12:10pm, 9 Apr 2015
3,645 posts
  •  
Winded
That is probably wise and a good idea for the financially stable. The difficulty comes for people who have le ss money and spend the cash they would have used for insurance.Then in 8 years they are told it will be £5,000 to fix Fluffy and don't have the money. As always the better off (who can afford to pay for it in the first place) can afford to carry insurance risks themselves far more than the people who really could benefit from having a policy.

We got Helga aged about 7 - we took out insurance and put a bit of cash aside each month. If we don't use the money it will just be some more squirrelled away for the future but if we get some bills it will avoid a future shock. Our financial planning is nothing if not excessive. Also we are both big softies and want to avoid having to think about care in terms of cash.

We have the John Lewis insurance because it was recommended by the lady at the vet's but I hear LV are quite good.
Apr 2015
12:43pm, 9 Apr 2015
67,758 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Hehe, I cannot afford the insurance premium! it was £16 a month!!! So I have just put aside some of my redundancy money in the contingency corner of my small savings account, for if my old car dies, the washing machine breaks, the boiler needs replacing, or the cat needs treatment! I am very disciplined NOT to spend that money by 'forgetting' about it... it is on a separate account, only to be touched when needed.

About This Thread

Maintained by
A thread for those owned by cats, as we cannot possibly go onto the Bark and whine thread, its for d...