Miaow, Purr, Yawn!

67 watchers
Feb 2015
7:18pm, 15 Feb 2015
67,523 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Ohhh, will watch that on iplayer later :)
Apr 2015
6:01am, 5 Apr 2015
615 posts
  •  
UltraMrsR
Hey guys. I know it's been an age since I posted on here. My girls are doing fine, 2 years old now. But my boy, Breezer isn't doing so well.

He will be 15 in the summer. I can't believe I've had him so long! He's a grumpy old thing, only I can pick him up, he will only sit on my lap. The Mr is only wanted when I'm not here and Breeze wants feeding. A short time before Xmas Breeze started vomiting, by New Year's Eve it hadn't settled so we took him to the vets. After a few weeks, a lot of expensive vet visits, blood tests and prescription food he was diagnosed with pancreitis, bowl disease and fit B deficiency.

The vit b was weekly injections, now down to monthly. The rest is prescription food and a dose of steroids when needed (indicated by vomiting). That was working for a while, he now refuses any food containing even the minimal amount of steroid. Why are cats so stubborn!! He actually didn't eat for 4 days in protest of the steroids. He wouldn't even look at the prescription food without steroids. So I gave in and let him have normal food. He wolfed it down!

But we are now back to square one. He's vomiting again. It's not after eating tho, it's usually when he's due a feed. We were away last week, my daughter said he had been sick a lot. He's refusing to go outside, so after he proudly had a poo in the porch we've had to bring the litter tray in from the garage. He's waking us up early hours every morning for food, and being sick all over the place. He's lost loads of weight and looks like a very poorly cat. I'm going to give the steroids another go for a couple of days and then back to the vets on Tuesday. I know the next step is investigative surgery, but he's an old boy and I don't know if I want him to go through that.

I'll keep you updated.
Apr 2015
7:35am, 5 Apr 2015
3,151 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
Oh Mrs R. It's awful to watch them get old and poorly isn't it. Let us know how he's doing
Apr 2015
4:19pm, 5 Apr 2015
67,741 posts
  •  
Hanneke
15 is a ripe old age for a cat. If he is suffering, I think I would probably let him go. I certainly would not let him suffer a big operation. Poor thing. Hard times ahead.
K9
Apr 2015
6:41pm, 5 Apr 2015
1,031 posts
  •  
K9
I'm with Hanneke....

I feel very strongly that I'll only put my cats through things if there is clear benefit for them (from their perspective) and minimal distress.

One of my cats died last year from renal failure and for the month between diagnosis and death I'm not sure any of the treatments the vet wanted caused much other than distress - a week in hospital, tablets, injections, an unpalatable diet, needles into the scruff of his neck for fluids every other day, stressful trips to the vets

My other cat had hyperthyroidism at Christmas and I was by then pretty reticent to put this one through much - however he underwent surgery and is now a picture of health - SO much better - so his short term distress was probably worth it

It's a difficult balance ultraMrsR, but it sounds like your baby may be reaching the end of his natural life. 15 is a good age. Make sure what is left is quality where possible...
Apr 2015
8:36pm, 5 Apr 2015
1,768 posts
  •  
Cyclops
I agree with K9 and think that cats are, by and large, mainly distressed by veterinary treatments and try to let them have as few visits to the vet as possible.
Apr 2015
11:13am, 6 Apr 2015
67,744 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Beautifully put K9... It is hard for us to make those decisions though. One operation and a good life after for another year or two? Or endless distressing things like unpalatable food, frequent vet visits etc... hard to predict, often enough, but having worked at a 'humane' vets as a teenager I know that when a cat reaches the end of its natural life, it is often better to gently and painlessly let them go :(
Apr 2015
1:20pm, 6 Apr 2015
616 posts
  •  
UltraMrsR
Thank you. I know your right, it's time to say good bye :0(

I'm taking him too the vets tomorrow, I'll let you know xxx
K9
Apr 2015
7:04pm, 6 Apr 2015
1,033 posts
  •  
K9
Will be thinking of you MrsR
x
Apr 2015
8:56pm, 6 Apr 2015
67,745 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Thinking of you here too MrsR :( hugs!

About This Thread

Maintained by
A thread for those owned by cats, as we cannot possibly go onto the Bark and whine thread, its for d...