Miaow, Purr, Yawn!

67 watchers
Apr 2015
7:05pm, 22 Apr 2015
623 posts
  •  
UltraMrsR
Lol, I would never brush my cats teeth! Chain mail gloves wouldn't give me enough protection!

I should take the girls for a check up, I already know they would tell me Babs is overweight. But we have to whisper that or she gets offended ;-)
Apr 2015
7:25pm, 22 Apr 2015
3,896 posts
  •  
sallykate
After spending £900 on having most of one of my cats' teeth removed I left with fishy toothpaste and a little brush to get the other one (his brother, whose teeth are fine so far) used to the idea of a bit of dental intervention.

That was 18 months ago and no, I haven't even tried...

No weight problems with the cats here. My SiL's cats are bigger than her dogs but I'm assured it's all fur.
K9
Apr 2015
7:26pm, 22 Apr 2015
1,060 posts
  •  
K9
I am a very bad mother....

I would never clean Dylan's teeth, rarely de-worm him, de-flea him if I get bitten, and as for routine check ups.....
K9
Apr 2015
7:29pm, 22 Apr 2015
1,061 posts
  •  
K9
Ha ha...Sallykate - hilarious that you've never used the fishy toothpaste!

I was told Dylan was overweight when he was younger..

I was very ashamed.
Couldn't do much about it as his brother was skinny and I fed them together..
Apr 2015
7:29pm, 22 Apr 2015
67,825 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Lasya is a lean, mean rodent killing machine, not an ouonce of fat on her. My neighbour thinks I don't feed her, but she gets wet food in the morning plus ad lib kibble which she never finishes so if she felt she needed to eat more I am sure she would. She supplements her diet with mice and voles. I reckon the bones act as toothpicks and the kibble works like a toothbrush ;)
Apr 2015
7:32pm, 22 Apr 2015
3,178 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
That's the thing. He announced she was overweight by weighing her rather than look or feel. She's a tall long cat so of course she is heavier than the average range. She is still lean and you can see her waist. I'm ignoring him. I've had cats older than he was ;)
Apr 2015
7:42pm, 22 Apr 2015
67,826 posts
  •  
Hanneke
LOL SSH :)

Lasya is a tiny cat, so of course she doesn't weigh much! Last year she was 3.2 kilo's and the vet said that was the lightest adult cat he had seen... He was well impressed with her athletic look. She looks like a mini-cheetah, it is the breed I think :)
K9
Apr 2015
7:52pm, 22 Apr 2015
1,062 posts
  •  
K9
Dylan was 6.5kg in his prime....

He was a bit overweight then, but he is a big black tom cat.
He's about 6kg now and looks amazing.
I'm so proud....

When he was ill with thyrotoxicosis he was 4.7kg and looked terrible
Apr 2015
10:05pm, 22 Apr 2015
3,686 posts
  •  
Winded
We never clean Helga's teeth - it would be a very dodgy procedure!

Brushing the cat's teeth isn't going to happen if she comes to you aged 7 with a bad attitude and lots of sharp teeth. She has mellowed a lot now but it just wouldn't occur to me to go near her teeth.
May 2015
4:07pm, 15 May 2015
67,893 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I am really worried...

This morning I was out in the garden and Lasya de cat was out. I don't keep a close eye on her when she is out in the garden. When I got back to the front porch, I noticed a plant pot had been knocked over... Not something the cat normally would do, too heavy for her and she isn't clumsy. As I was putting the pot upright, Lasya came crawling out from behind the porch door, which was half open. The rear of her body looked wet and bedraggled, her pupils were dilated and there was fur everywhere, all over the stoop and doormat, right in front of the door.

She had clearly been attacked/grabbed by something! I suspect a dog, because she was wet, I don't think other cats would grab her and cause her to be wet?

I dried her off with a towel, which she let me do but her hind quarters were very sensitive so I had a look around under her fur. She has a few marks on both quarters, one side not puncturing the skn, on the other side either grazed or punctured, three or for marks. Very sore to the touch. I gave her a treat, to see how she was walking, which seemed normal but she didn't trot or run, which she normall does when a treat is on offer.

I went to work worried, so went to check on her at lunchtime (I don't normally come home at lunch, we work straight through). She was hiding under my duvet and the puncture hole has been oozing blood and serum. I cleaned it up with a saline solution, which was obviously sore for her.

I went downstairs to get her a treat and she reluctantly and slowly followed me down, dragging her hind quarters and clearly limping both rear and front on the left. I realised she could not weight bear on her left front paw, so I checked it over and the wrist joint is swollen and very painful, feels dislocated, poor thing must be in agony :-o

I called the vet and am seeing them at 10 past six tonight. So so worried for my poor little cat, as I think she has been grabbed, picked up and shaken by a dog... I am hoping she hasn't broken anything, she is so small, a dog will just snap her in half easily :(

Fingers crossed guys, just had to vent, so worried and upset... I suspect my neighbour's border terrier. This creature has been escaping its garden, coming into mine. It is a bit of a weird character, that dog, and I have been told the reason why my neighbours got rid of their chickens was that it helped itself to them, killing them off one by one. Obviously, I now have three hens myself, so this disconcerted me. I said to this other neighbour who told me this: but he wouldn't kill the cat would he? The answer: Margaret (another neighbour) had to have hers put down... we don't know what/who did it, but it was attacked by an animal and broke its spine :( the suspicion is on this terrier :(

Needless to say Lasya will be a house cat from now on, I cannot take the risk, even in my own garden. Makes you so vulnerable. I feel like I have failed her. Please pray she hasn't fractured her spine, like Margaret's cat :(

About This Thread

Maintained by
A thread for those owned by cats, as we cannot possibly go onto the Bark and whine thread, its for d...