Kayaking & Canoeing thread

1 lurker | 36 watchers
24 Jul
9:23am, 24 Jul 2024
5,266 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
Independent SUP is not allowed. There is a company offering beginner lessons but that is not what we wanted.
Canoe and kayak are available through various companies. Hubby and I used to work at Calvert Kielder which is one of the companies providing canoe and kayak sessions and as such they were happy for us to borrow boats and take ourselves off rather than going on a group activity session.
24 Jul
9:26am, 24 Jul 2024
50,517 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
So no "independent" boating at all on Kielder. What's the logic about that? Is it just protecting companies' income? Or is it to restrict numbers on the water? Isn't Kielder enormous? Why would they restrict access for responsible users?
24 Jul
10:10am, 24 Jul 2024
5,267 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
It is enormous - 11 square km surface area. It’s a man made reservoir used for supplying water to a lot of areas.
There are various rules and regulations written by Northumbria water.

watersideparksuk.com
30 Jul
2:06pm, 30 Jul 2024
19,436 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Bumpy 2.4 miles on the sea today playing chase the seal. He kept popping up all the time.

Must admit not much standing up happened πŸ˜‚

30 Jul
2:20pm, 30 Jul 2024
41,470 posts
  •  
halfpint
Forgot to post. Lovely sea paddle from Cromarty on Sunday. We had a fairly close encounter with dolphins. We stayed where we were, watching from a distance, but they passed by close to us. Later saw 3 boats speeding towards a feeding pod which was sad to see.
30 Jul
2:21pm, 30 Jul 2024
41,471 posts
  •  
halfpint
@Mandymoo I love how inquisitive seals are. Such a treat to have one tag along :)
30 Jul
2:25pm, 30 Jul 2024
5,273 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
Ah - that's lovely to see seals and dolphins.

We had a sea SUP at Durridge bay thanks to the suggestions on this thread (and I did parkrun there as well). We opted for sea rather than lake SUP as we can paddle on lakes at home. The tiny lumpy waves certainly made it more challenging.
30 Jul
3:20pm, 30 Jul 2024
19,439 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
I would love to see Dolphins when out on my board. Some people have no thought or respect for wildlife πŸ˜”
30 Jul
6:23pm, 30 Jul 2024
69,061 posts
  •  
LindsD
Some lovely outings
31 Jul
7:40am, 31 Jul 2024
50,569 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
First trip to Loch Earn yesterday. Wind was up and waves quite big for inland.

Lovely evening though. Hard work upwind, but like surfing coming down.

Also went a short way down the river. Didn't know if one could paddle against current, but it was fine.

Sunday I did 8 hours (yes EIGHT!) of helping paddle board instructing. 3 groups of 3, 1 hour each plus prep and waiting around time. Was brilliant fun. Learned a few things too. :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by Jubear
I know there are a few of us on here who do a bit of canoeing and kayaking. I'm doing lots as I sti...