Kayaking & Canoeing thread

36 watchers
Oct 2012
6:22pm, 6 Oct 2012
571 posts
  •  
Ade1973
Can't not do it here (Outer Hebrides)- surf to the west, mountains and sea lochs to the east.
Only a few of us down here in Uist, big club in Stornoway. Understandable, given how many work on, in or under the water here. Probably the last thing they want to do with their weekend.
Worth persevering with practising worse case scenarios Jubear- you'll be more likely to keep it together if things go a little pear shaped! (spot the ex-coastguard...)
Oct 2012
6:22pm, 6 Oct 2012
572 posts
  •  
Ade1973
Can't not do it here (Outer Hebrides)- surf to the west, mountains and sea lochs to the east.
Only a few of us down here in Uist, big club in Stornoway. Understandable, given how many work on, in or under the water here. Probably the last thing they want to do with their weekend.
Worth persevering with practising worse case scenarios Jubear- you'll be more likely to keep it together if things go a little pear shaped! (spot the ex-coastguard...)
Oct 2012
6:23pm, 6 Oct 2012
573 posts
  •  
Ade1973
Sorry- too much coffee this afternoon....
Oct 2012
6:47pm, 6 Oct 2012
487 posts
  •  
Jubear
You do have a bit of scope for paddling up there!
Having made the transition from sit on top to closed cockpit kayak, I'm going to get the capsize & recovery thing nailed, just was a bit surprised at how much i'll have to work at it.
Oct 2012
10:42pm, 19 Oct 2012
488 posts
  •  
Jubear
I can now capsize, hang, slap the upturned hull three times, release the spray deck & fall out of the boat & float to the surface. Rejoice with me fellow inmates! :-)
Next I spose I need to do same in real water outside the pool, without swimming goggles or contact lenses, but hey its still an improvement!
Oct 2012
5:38am, 20 Oct 2012
4,814 posts
  •  
JJ Flash
Hello :)

I'm a Level 2 Paddlesport coach, training up towards Level 3 and head coach at my canoe club. I don't have many weeks when I don't play around in boats. I'm an inland water paddler. I've done quite hard WW stuff when I was young but am quite happy to potter around on any kind of water now.

Glad you've plucked up the courage to practice falling out. Over half the paddlesport deaths are people who didn't see getting training as something they needed to do.

We don't make people capsize on their first session anymore and we usually spend quite some time making it unscary before the first swim. It is worth doing though.
Oct 2012
7:36am, 27 Oct 2012
489 posts
  •  
Jubear
Just one capsize at last nights pool kayak session, it was fine & last weeks teacher obv couldn't face another 30 mins of nothing but...;-)

Rest of the session was with a girl (very strong & confident paddler, young enough to be my daughter etc) showing me sweep strokes & stopping the Damn boat! Paddle around & through the crowds she told me, don't stop, they won't worry if you nudge their boats! Not like real life then!
Parkrun in a mo, then I'm meeting some paddlers from the Song of the Paddle website for a picnic paddle along our local canal.
Oct 2012
11:49am, 27 Oct 2012
3,735 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
Cool. Paddlers! Hello folks.

I used to paddle a bit and still have boats in the garage. We're currently just waiting for the kids to be old enough to enjoy it safely. We're planning on getting going again next summer (assuming we get one, that is).

Good to hear that training is getting done.
:-)
Oct 2012
8:57pm, 27 Oct 2012
490 posts
  •  
Jubear
Hello AnCly, I seem to remember you from another thread!
Oct 2012
10:23am, 29 Oct 2012
3,738 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
Hi Jubear, how's the leg?

About This Thread

Maintained by Jubear
I know there are a few of us on here who do a bit of canoeing and kayaking. I'm doing lots as I sti...