Garmin

214 watchers
Oct 2022
3:43pm, 5 Oct 2022
2,000 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
I believe you can see it on the watch (at least on my 955) if, after you stop the activity (and before you save), you scroll down through the menu and select Recovery HR. You then have to wait for 2 mins and you will get a result.
Thanks, chunkywizard, that's where they hid it! I knew I had seen it somewhere and it works on the Epix too.
Oct 2022
4:17pm, 5 Oct 2022
19,194 posts
  •  
larkim
If only we knew of a website with a flexible developer who responds to the users requests to display different bits of data....

Might put a feature request in!
SPR
Oct 2022
4:48pm, 5 Oct 2022
38,433 posts
  •  
SPR
TBF, the flexible developer might has the same constraints. Data intensive is data intensive unless there's a way round it.
Oct 2022
5:01pm, 5 Oct 2022
19,195 posts
  •  
larkim
Could definitely report the field though as part of the training logs, even if the x-y calc wasn't feasible.
SPR
Oct 2022
5:06pm, 5 Oct 2022
38,434 posts
  •  
SPR
No harm in asking. It reminds me it was one of the bespoke fields I set up when I was using a non GPS Timex when I first started running, lol.
SPR
Oct 2022
5:35pm, 5 Oct 2022
38,435 posts
  •  
SPR
Anyone use health snapshots? And if so how? Noticing any trends? Would be interesting to see patterns that correlate with fatigue/ freshness. I might at some point but I want to start at a point where the first one would be a good baseline.

On the basic recovery hours thing, the Garmin correctly recognised that I cooked myself with my third basketball session in 5 days on Monday and calculated 72 hours recovery after. I didn't notice it at the time and it was only the you're recovering well but still have high recovery needs notification near the end of yesterday that prompted me to check.

What was also interesting is it saw the pre basketball sprints as costly (recovery doubled from 19hrs to 38! and the 19 would have come from the run before the sprints) whereas sprints normally aren't for me (I only did 4 x 10 secs whereas 10 would be a full session that I wouldn't expect to be costly normally). From a beats per mile perspective nothing was out so clearly the Garmin is working decently with the HRV data which is impressive.
Oct 2022
5:37pm, 5 Oct 2022
15,627 posts
  •  
Badger
I think with Runalyze it may be about the architecture (the implication was that the summary list pulls a set of values on the fly from the uploaded file, rather than storing a list for each activity); Fetch does some processing on every file when it's read in, or at least when it is first viewed, including elevation correction for non-baro devices and calculating the beats/mile. Maybe the biggest catch for him would be adding a new database field for the value. I don't know if the beats/mile in the FE summary is calculated as average HR times average pace or from looking at the individual values (which do show in the HR graphs in the activity view).

I'd definitely vote for that in the log :)
SPR
Oct 2022
5:55pm, 5 Oct 2022
38,436 posts
  •  
SPR
Badger - Confused about the beats per mile 'difference' you're highlighting?
Oct 2022
7:24pm, 5 Oct 2022
15,628 posts
  •  
Badger
Beats per mile isn’t a Garmin stat, so it’s something Fetch has calculated. It shows in two places; one is the overall average in the list of HR stats that you can show in the log list view, the other is one of the HR graphs in the activity view. The activity view graph must be calculated point by point, the log list view value could just be average HR times average pace which could be from the fit file summary stats rather than averaging all the points, so it might not involve scanning all the values. Is that clearer?

There are things that are only calculated when you view the activity the first time, not on import, to keep import quick when you import a lot of files together (and for folk who automatically import Garmin data but never look at it!) and maybe it could be added to that, though I think we’re agreeing that it would be best to see it in the log list view so you can compare say the last 6 months interval sessions recovery easily?
SPR
Oct 2022
7:55pm, 5 Oct 2022
38,437 posts
  •  
SPR
Yes, get what you mean now. As it's a Fetch stat, I presumed it was done the easiest way possible so...

For overall, average HR * average pace.

For each point, actual HR * actual pace.

Wonder if the second bit is stored or calculated when needed.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
For all questions and comments about Garmin devices, including importing to Fetch.