Garmin

214 watchers
Oct 2022
11:29am, 3 Oct 2022
1,992 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
Everyone who might want to run London m now wants a dual-band watch ;)
SPR
Oct 2022
8:24pm, 3 Oct 2022
38,416 posts
  •  
SPR
Confirmed that basketball is having a big impact on predictions as it dropped another 26 secs after today's session. It had actually increased by a couple of secs after a 3.7 mile run earlier.

It's probably the type of session Garmin likes with a good aerobic and anaerobic load. Today was 3.3 and 2.1 respectively for 1:20 (and think I missed the first 10 or so minutes of timing).

Nice to be able to get fitness playing a sport and if I can get conditioned enough to cope, I'd like to keep one session per week in over the winter.
SPR
Oct 2022
8:27pm, 3 Oct 2022
38,417 posts
  •  
SPR
It would be nice to get some speed and cadence data but I'm not going to risk wearing my watch. Does anyone have a old Garmin footpod by any chance?

I'm looking at the Zwift RunPod potentially, but I read that is better with steady stuff rather than lots of speed changes.
SPR
Oct 2022
8:35pm, 3 Oct 2022
38,418 posts
  •  
SPR
Oh, and my Max HR ticked up to 194 today in a run where the max was 158. Maybe I'll ask the question about how it's been worked out on Garmin or Reddit.

And OT, from a training point of view, I've felt lethargic in terms of explosiveness when I've done an easy run then played basketball later but doing sprints after the run (just 4 x 10 secs so far as don't want to overdo it) seems to tune the legs nicely for the basketball session later .
Oct 2022
8:37pm, 3 Oct 2022
1,808 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Spr, maybe not what you are looking for, but HRM pro and pro Plus has good “foot pod” functions since latest update.
Works as good as stryd at least on a treadmill. Might work?
Can be used without the watch to I think.
SPR
Oct 2022
8:42pm, 3 Oct 2022
38,419 posts
  •  
SPR
Not a fan of chest strap so otherwise that could have been an option. Presumably these work in modes other than running?

Not sure why Garmin can't give the RD Pod "footpod" functions as well, although I might not want to wear it for basketball with the risk of falling on it in the small of back.
Oct 2022
10:35pm, 3 Oct 2022
9,918 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
I was interested in the recent VO2max talk. My 245 settled pretty quickly at 55 when I was in 19.30 or so parkrun shape earlier in the year. Virtually no running and the effects of Covid over the summer mean I've been consistently 3-4 mins slower on a hard effort for a couple of months. Weight has not changed a huge amount, and running currently feels exactly like running hard after giving blood, so a genuine decrease in aerobic capacity.

And Garmin? It dropped me to 54 then 53, and has stayed there since. 55 was lower than a proper test I did a couple of years ago (while doing similar 5k times) but 53 now seems way too high.
Oct 2022
7:05am, 4 Oct 2022
1,809 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Spr, I haven’t tried it in any other “sport activity” but I think it will work, but if it can calculate basketball movements as well as running I don’t know.
Oct 2022
9:45am, 4 Oct 2022
1,995 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
My (exaggerated) VO2 max has been flatlined at 50 for months now, even though I have kept improving my shorter times (for UTMOST WAVA). For the first time I have run a 5 km faster than the prediction: 22:54 vs 24:08. It has not updated the prediction to reflect reality. I suspect it uses some kind of moving average. By the Jack Daniels formula used in some online calculators that race time is 42.5.
SPR
Oct 2022
10:24am, 4 Oct 2022
38,421 posts
  •  
SPR
Garmin uses VO2 Max plus training load. I expect anyone with the same VO2 Max and training load will end up with the same prediction but I don't know if it also takes account of load type (or if that just impact the VO2 Max side.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
For all questions and comments about Garmin devices, including importing to Fetch.