Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

2 lurkers | 140 watchers
19 Feb
8:20am, 19 Feb 2024
53,733 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Six weeks of live-in care then begins What she doesn't know yet is that the live-in carer (who she knows and likes) has to have time off every day. Two hours. At which point there'll be someone else to cover ... who MiL doesn't yet know. There is a non-zero chance when she realises this, she may refuse to go into hospital. Her social anxiety and misanthropy are that bad. I'm slightly of the opinion not to tell her in advance - it's going to be a life-saving op. Not my call though, thankfully.

Well, they told her yesterday and... she went absolutely ballistic. Complete meltdown. They managed to talk her down a bit though (Liebling and sister R) so - for now, at least - blood tests today and op tomorrow are going ahead.
19 Feb
8:28am, 19 Feb 2024
66,736 posts
  •  
LindsD
Oh no. I'm sorry. That sounds upsetting for everyone. I don't know how Liebling and her siblings have the energy. I can't even bring myself to call my Mum.
19 Feb
8:35am, 19 Feb 2024
53,734 posts
  •  
McGoohan
They're all a bit frayed at the edges now but they get by, by taking turns really. It's brother C today for the bloodtests, then sister L is taking her to the op tomorrow.
19 Feb
8:38am, 19 Feb 2024
53,735 posts
  •  
McGoohan
And MiL is at the point now where the concept of a live-in-carer wanting or having any sort of break is outrageous to her. This strange kind of selfishness where she thinks everyone else's time should revolve entirely around her. Their GP tried to gently suggest that other people had lives too, separate from her, and MiL was completely uncomprehending.
19 Feb
8:40am, 19 Feb 2024
49,438 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That sounds tough McG. Sympathies to yourself, Liebling and family.
19 Feb
8:41am, 19 Feb 2024
66,737 posts
  •  
LindsD
My Mum is similar. Can't see why the universe shouldn't bend around her. Thinking of you all.
19 Feb
8:55am, 19 Feb 2024
18,395 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Sounds very tough McG
19 Feb
11:00am, 19 Feb 2024
6,944 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I'm glad that Leibling has support. Hope it all goes ok.
19 Feb
12:30pm, 19 Feb 2024
26,374 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
It is great that L and her siblings are working together on this, and must be a great support to each of them at a tough time. If only my BiL had a similar approach.

MiL has ben very confused and even more frail of late. She is now stating its the zimmer frame that causes her to fall. It was easier to juts agree instead of trying to explain.

What was worrying though was when she ate a chocolate yesterday she started to cry and complained of a sore throat. Mrs Axe is calling the GP today as that didnt sound good
19 Feb
12:36pm, 19 Feb 2024
23,295 posts
  •  
larkim
I don't frequent here often, but my dad phoned me on the way home from work last Tuesday to tell me that I shouldn't worry, but he'd spent the night at A&E because he'd been having chest pains (20 years ago he had quad bypass surgery) which got worse during the day, so he gave himself a stern talking to in the mirror and persuaded himself he needed to be seen.

So he drove himself to the hospital!

In the end, all good - no heart attack, higher BP, nothing diagnosed. But the decision making at that age is just ridiculous. Had to remind him that both my sister and I live within 40 minutes drive so if he ever needs that again in the middle of the night he should just call.

I can see this being a recurring theme over the next few years.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.