Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

4 lurkers | 140 watchers
6 Jan
5:26pm, 6 Jan 2024
6,834 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I hope it goes better than you think McG.

jda - they could be waiting to decide whether an op is really necessary/the best option or it could just be that it's not an emergency so has been delayed due to a lack of doctors (junior doctor strike may be impacting) or operating rooms.
7 Jan
7:10pm, 7 Jan 2024
32,070 posts
  •  
macca 53
Fingers crossed she doesn’t play up McGoohan
jda
7 Jan
7:23pm, 7 Jan 2024
16,200 posts
  •  
jda
Ah well it seems like the op is now firmly fixed for Monday (though further postponement is always possible) and a proper doctor has now both looked at his arm and spoken to my wife and said that given the state of things they will just be pinning the elbow rather than replacing it and will take it from there. He also understood the concept of the on-line PoA code thingy, so it seems that was a personal rather than institutional issue previously.

Sounds like a long haul for FiL but there's nothing for us to do but sit and wait.

Getting an elderly patient to hospital for 7:30 sounds challenging however enthusiastic they are McG! Good luck!
7 Jan
8:10pm, 7 Jan 2024
53,560 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Cheers all. To get to the hospital for 7:30 they'll have to leave at 7:00 at the latest which means getting her out of bed around 6am. She won't be allowed anything to eat so I expect she'll start the day fairly cantakerous too.

Sounds positive that things are now at least moving for your FiL, jda.
8 Jan
6:28am, 8 Jan 2024
6,837 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Hope it goes ok McG.

Good you've had firm news jda. Hope the op happens today.
8 Jan
7:05am, 8 Jan 2024
7,626 posts
  •  
1step2far
Good luck McG
CK2
8 Jan
10:10pm, 8 Jan 2024
2,545 posts
  •  
CK2
How did today go jda?
Good luck tomorrow McG
9 Jan
7:00am, 9 Jan 2024
53,569 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Cheers. I've not heard from Liebling so I am assuming they've managed to set off for the hospital. I'm going to their house shortly to WFH' there and to offer moral support (& an extra driver should one be needed).
9 Jan
8:14am, 9 Jan 2024
73,241 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Hope she agrees to the op once she's there.
9 Jan
8:27am, 9 Jan 2024
65,985 posts
  •  
LindsD
Thinking of you all

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.