Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

5 lurkers | 140 watchers
Dec 2023
8:30am, 28 Dec 2023
29,355 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Thanks. I felt most despair when the lead dr at the unit told her that her mind worked in an unusual way. Durr
Dec 2023
8:54am, 28 Dec 2023
6,824 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
No kidding? Obviously it took several years of med school and post qualifying experience to work something like that out.
Dec 2023
5:35pm, 28 Dec 2023
29,358 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Presumably everyone else he saw in mental health unit was just fine 🤪
1 Jan
3:41pm, 1 Jan 2024
26,164 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
We awoke this morning with a message to call the carers as soon as we could. Turns out MiL had a fall c10pm last night and the falls team had been out. The carers arrived this morning to find a bit of a bloody mess, but no harm done.

We went off to visit my parents and say HNY, but just as were about to head to see MiL the falls team called and they had been back out again as there was another fall and more blood.

On arrival MiL other than looking to have been in the ring with Mike Tyson was ok. The room was a mess and we did our best to tidy up and also move as many of the hazards as we can.

A conversation was tried to see if MiL will move to the bigger bedroom which would have less risk of a fall and potentially softer landings when she does. That was ruled out for reasons that make sense only to MiL.

We then moved on to thoughts of changing the layout of the smaller bedroom again so we can create more space and less chance of falls and impacts. That was also dismissed.

I got quite short with her in the end as she is just being thrawn based on how she has always done things regardless of the sensibility of any suggestions made.

It was good to see my parents ,but I can see the decline in them. My Dad has been ill since the 27th, seems to have poisoned himself with a bit of Lorne sausage. However he is out of bed and eating again so all good. I do worry though that they are going to need some looking after in the near future.
1 Jan
3:48pm, 1 Jan 2024
65,853 posts
  •  
LindsD
That all sounds tough
1 Jan
3:50pm, 1 Jan 2024
6,828 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
So difficult Baz.
1 Jan
3:54pm, 1 Jan 2024
18,047 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Very difficult Baz
1 Jan
3:57pm, 1 Jan 2024
11,927 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
That sounds difficult Baz.
Would MIL accept advice from the falls team to reduce the hazards. My mum accepted a bit more advice when the falls team mentioned how much safer her bedroom was after we had a clear out.

Wasn't exactly a damascene conversion to our way of thinking but it shifted things a little
CK2
1 Jan
4:10pm, 1 Jan 2024
2,517 posts
  •  
CK2
A rough New Year’s Day Baz! My dad was very resistant to suggestions unless coming from the medics, carers or my husband (ex nurse.) Sounds both worrying and frustrating.
1 Jan
4:25pm, 1 Jan 2024
49,032 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas and Happy NewG(rrr)
Happy new year all carers and caring folk in here.

Sounds tricky Bazo. As others have said maybe see if the docs or nurses or other pros can "tell" her what adaptations must be made?

My mum is always resistant to change initially, but once it's had a few days to sink in usually acquiesces!

:-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.