Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

5 lurkers | 140 watchers
MH
9 Jan
11:34pm, 9 Jan 2024
1,031 posts
  •  
MH
Jeez - that is really hard, Serendippily.

Glad all went well McG
10 Jan
6:44am, 10 Jan 2024
6,840 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
That's so sad Serendippily. A lose/lose situation for all concerned.

I hate the scammers too McG. Great that things went so well for MiL. It's difficult to watch people struggle when you know there is a way to alleviate it. I hope she can be persuaded to accept some help - even if it's in the form of FiL going somewhere for a couple of hours a week or having a befriender in.
10 Jan
7:07am, 10 Jan 2024
26,194 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
The scammers got mil once about her recent car crash.

Oh I haven’t had a crash but my grandson has and she gave the scammer his details

Son then got a call from scammers saying your grandma said you had a crash. Luckily he is streetwise.
10 Jan
7:28am, 10 Jan 2024
18,112 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
That sounds so hard Dipps xxx

Glad ops have gone well
10 Jan
7:30am, 10 Jan 2024
53,586 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Dipps that sounds so hard even to witness.

LMH - I think /hope this op might push MiL to accept more help. When I left yesterday (Liebling and her sister styayed overnight) MiL was sat with her feet up and a blanket over her legs, wiped out. Usually when the carers are there she follows them around, interfering.

Ideally, they would give her some respite time but she's always suspicious of them when they are alone with FiL. She literally can't follow them now. She has to rest. So she might see the benefits of having a break.
10 Jan
7:38am, 10 Jan 2024
66,007 posts
  •  
LindsD
Hope so McG

(((Dipps)))
10 Jan
10:55am, 10 Jan 2024
53,587 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Liebling is home. Her Mum got up this morning to make sure she was up for when the carer got there. She even allowed the carer to make her a cup of tea without interfering.

One slight downside is that instead of saying to the carer, e.g., 'Could you bring me some milk? It's over there' she instead pointed to the kitchen and demanded, 'MILK!'
10 Jan
12:39pm, 10 Jan 2024
66,018 posts
  •  
LindsD
Glad Liebling is home. General politeness and 'how-to-behave' does seem to be a casualty of ageing/dementia.
10 Jan
1:42pm, 10 Jan 2024
12,185 posts
  •  
Mazlin
McG which hospital? If it’s Chichester/ St Richards I sometimes work with the gynae team there. Feel free to let me know if anything seems to be going wrong. (Not that I have any power to influence anything. But I might be able to ask.)

(OK, I’m leaving again now!)
10 Jan
1:53pm, 10 Jan 2024
53,591 posts
  •  
McGoohan
It is indeed St Richards Mazlin, but I have to say, they've been brilliant so far.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.