Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

1 lurker | 140 watchers
9 Jan
1:24pm, 9 Jan 2024
53,579 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Currently supplying FiL with his "breakfast" while I eat lunch
9 Jan
3:51pm, 9 Jan 2024
18,109 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Sounds as though gone nice and smoothly McG
jda
9 Jan
6:45pm, 9 Jan 2024
16,203 posts
  •  
jda
FiL has a huge bit of ironmongery bolted on to his arm, it sounds like there are going to be long weeks (months) ahead before any chance of significant progress, and there's surely no way he can cope at home like that, so it looks like he's in hospital for a long haul. It feels like he is just being swallowed up by the NHS industrial machine and will get processed accordingly...not that we have any criticisms of the treatment, it just seems a very passive process of things being done to him on someone else's timetable without much information being available.

He's shown impressive vigour and powers of recovery in the past, but everyone breaks eventually. We wonder if this will prove to be the final straw.
9 Jan
8:38pm, 9 Jan 2024
53,582 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Let's hope not jda. Sounds like a plus that things are at least moving (albeit very slowly)
9 Jan
8:46pm, 9 Jan 2024
53,583 posts
  •  
McGoohan
For us, today could hardly have gone better TBH

Good things:
- MiL was whisked in to hospital for 7:30am
- The hospital prioritised her and she was in surgery by 9:00 and in recovery by 10
- Once they had established she was able to walk and go to thye loo, she was allowed to go home
- Her op was primarily an investigation to see if polyps in her uterus are cancerous. So they took samples for biopsy. However, whether cancer or not, one treatment is to have a progesterone coil fitted that will in theory prevent further polyp growth. So they did that while they were there. So they've sort of done Op1 and Op1.5.

Great result from the NHS for us really.

Also:
- I got a newspaper and croissants on my way to theirs this morning and FiL enjoyed both. He couldn't really take anything in from the paper but I think it reminded him of, I dunno, being a person I suppose. He really tucked into his croissant as well - I think the small break from routine was a bit of a boost for him.
9 Jan
8:49pm, 9 Jan 2024
53,584 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Less good things:
- I intercepted a call on their landline from a scammer. 'Is that Mr Meredith? I'm from Microsoft.' 'No it isn't and you can FUCK OFF'. Scam callers make me so very angry.
- While they have someone from Home Instead coming in all day tomorrow, MiL insisted she won't have any more care than that, so it's just a 2-hour visit for them on Thursday.

We shall see.
9 Jan
10:24pm, 9 Jan 2024
66,001 posts
  •  
LindsD
The good things seem Really Good though. Am pleased. You must all be exhausted
9 Jan
10:27pm, 9 Jan 2024
53,585 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I'm going to bed in a minute. I'm wiped out. It's quite mentally exhausting to have to deal with a person with advanced demantia and I only had to do it a few hours. MiL has to do this full time. (Well, she doesn't *have* to if only she'd accept more help...)
9 Jan
10:36pm, 9 Jan 2024
66,003 posts
  •  
LindsD
Indeed
9 Jan
10:55pm, 9 Jan 2024
29,374 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Glad for the positives McG

Mum again hid from mental health team and her phone is still off hook so the police kicked the door in again as she would give them no proof of life and it has been six weeks since she last responded. And then they left as she was obviously not starving or broken, just 88 and frightened. I dont know who can make her feel safe enough to think, she doesnt want to see or hear from me as i put her away last time. She can only change her behaviour if it makes sense to her, and she has a perfectly rational alternative reality where we are all out to get her and she’s fine as she is.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.