Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

8 lurkers | 140 watchers
Nov 2023
11:47am, 15 Nov 2023
11,702 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
Dipps that sounds dreadful. Is diagnosis an option to open those ways of doing things for you?

If there was a diagnosis the Oliver McGowan training mandatory in the NHS also backs up the need to listen to families more effectively.
Nov 2023
11:58am, 15 Nov 2023
29,282 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Ill push very hard if she gets sectioned again but the three year wait is a problem at 88
Nov 2023
12:01pm, 15 Nov 2023
11,703 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
Are you her nearest relative in MHA terms?
Nov 2023
1:30pm, 15 Nov 2023
10,362 posts
  •  
Fields
jda having read the form now I am the only attorney and my brother is the replacement one
Nov 2023
2:11pm, 15 Nov 2023
29,283 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Elder two siblings are on PoA. Many people from social services call many of us. Generally i think we are more available than they are
Nov 2023
2:14pm, 15 Nov 2023
29,284 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I spend a fair amount of time encouraging them to speak to each other but they are rushed off their feet and there is no process for this outside the assessment they are all trying to work around. With my daughter we tried to go private but it just doesn’t work, responsibility becomes even more confused
jda
Nov 2023
2:21pm, 15 Nov 2023
15,898 posts
  •  
jda
And it sounds like that’s the arrangement that suits you Fields
Nov 2023
4:04pm, 15 Nov 2023
31,902 posts
  •  
macca 53
Wishing you strength Dipps ((()))
Nov 2023
5:07pm, 15 Nov 2023
6,752 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Serendippily - I have a feeling you'll have thought of anything I can suggest and I'm sorry that your experience of services has been so bad. Unfortunately I'm not surprised. I can say that they/we are not all the same and that whilst a diagnosis makes things easier not having one shouldn't be a barrier to reasonable adjustments. Having the reasonable adjustment utilised appropriately is another matter of course. Have you tried finding a MH or Autism advocate to support your mum as an independent? Your mum should have a care plan and safety plan and they are both documents that should be used to help to ensure that the things she finds helpful and unhelpful are known and considered when deciding on appropriate action/care.
Nov 2023
6:02pm, 15 Nov 2023
29,285 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Thanks LMH. I will think on an advocate. My mum wouldnt trust anything I recommended on principle but its still a good shout

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.