Dull races

1 lurker | 23 watchers
Oct 2014
11:57am, 31 Oct 2014
7,850 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Bath Half, ok the start/finish/halfway is good, the rest is shite.
Mar 2015
7:19pm, 1 Mar 2015
9,811 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Any more for the Balh Half :-) ?
Mar 2015
9:07pm, 1 Mar 2015
10,070 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Just read from the start of this thread. Amazed that V'rap did not find the JW Ultra dull. I only did one leg of the relay; I'd have drowned myself if I'd had to do the whole thing.
Mar 2015
9:22pm, 1 Mar 2015
32,161 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
LazyDaisy, it probably helped that the first time I did the JW I had eL Bee! and a load of gremlins for company, and the second time I had my sister to chat with for the first two-thirds and finished with a very focused push to salvage a PB. And I'd trained a lot on West Midlands canal paths so the route felt sort of cosy and familiar.
Mar 2018
8:14pm, 3 Mar 2018
6,113 posts
  •  
NDWDave
The night section of the Thames Path 100. 5 hours of walking through featureless fields in the dark
Mar 2018
8:32pm, 3 Mar 2018
80 posts
  •  
Akie
Salford 10k is a dull course. Two laps where 2k is a long straight road through a housing estate and 3k looping round through an industrial estate. Purely there for the high PB potential but nothing of interest to admire at all.

Guess PB potential courses can get away with being dull.
Mar 2018
12:32pm, 4 Mar 2018
21,678 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
I can add Torremolinos Half to this thread. Yes you run along the seafront for 10 of the 22k, but it's not the most scenic seafront, and the rest of the route is properly dull.

The only reason to run it is because it's cheap as chips to get there, stay there, enter the race and have a fun weekend with your mates, all in somewhat better weather than we get in the UK in February.
Mar 2018
1:03pm, 4 Mar 2018
1,419 posts
  •  
Sigh
I'll admit I've not run this one, but the description alone does it for me: the Air Products 10k is two laps of an industrial/commercial estate around Crewe. Held every Easter Sunday. Looking at the route on Google maps, you can take in the sights of *all* the major car dealerships, as well as Toolstation, the Dulux Decorator Centre, Expert Logistics, Bargain Booze, B&Q, Travelodge, a Texaco and even a Greggs.

I saw a video of the finish a few years ago and to add to the misery, it was raining.

southcheshireharriers.org.uk
Mar 2018
1:35pm, 4 Mar 2018
82 posts
  •  
Akie
Never done the Air Products 10K either but know people who have. Sounds like a race to purely chase a PB or fast time, not likely to get much enjoyment out of it otherwise Id imagine.
Mar 2018
2:13pm, 4 Mar 2018
21,679 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Time for a Fetchie outing to that one? ;-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Dvorak
I've just run the dullest race I have ever done, The Monklands Half Marathon. It was "don't want...