5:39am, 10 Sep 2024
3,778 posts
  •  
riggys99
Morning

Todays lyrics

You're everywhere and nowhere baby
That's where you're at

Theme still colour and if your from the blue side of Sheffield a football reference again. (slightly different lyrics)

Bonus point for getting the name of at least one of the footballers who covered this song.
10 Sep
7:44am, 10 Sep 2024
338 posts
  •  
HazelnutCH
Morning

That is nasty regarding Salvi @alehouse . Hopefully no bigger setback for the hammy too.

Great news regarding the back @PeterFay

Did the biking get done yesterday @Velociraptor ? Visit to Belfast sounds nice.

Uggh to the bug @Dustin . Hope you are feeling much better today.

Good running going on @tinebeest . A Malinois is the only dog I had real trouble with on a run in the last years - it was running loose but fortunately was wearing a muzzle. Bruised arm nonetheless.

Looking forward to the rest of your report @ElspethF

Lyrics: nope and no bonus either..
10 Sep
8:36am, 10 Sep 2024
70,859 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Good morning, Fetchworld :)

Lyrics: No, even with the clue.

@HazelnutCH I did have a short spin on the bike yesterday. Hoping it won't be the last one of the year.

What: A run at some point, and it looks like a good day to go indoor climbing.
Why: Rotten weather! But not rotten enough to unfold the treadmill.
Last hard: Saturday.
10 Sep
8:36am, 10 Sep 2024
297 posts
  •  
alehouse
Morning!

Lyrics: yes, but no bonus point unless my wild guess is correct.

Yesterday's: Blue is the colour, The Chelsea Football Team of 1972.

What: unsure

Why: a couple of tender spots. Will certainly do some stretching and strengthening but had planned a short run.

Group run today, @HazelnutCH ?
10 Sep
8:49am, 10 Sep 2024
339 posts
  •  
HazelnutCH
Ah forgot those bits...

What: group run? Should be ok weather so might get some others out. Need to commiserate with one buddy who started his 31st Jungfraumarathon on Saturday (he has run it every year it took place) but got timed out at the last but one checkpoint.
Why: Tuesday
Last hard: balancing need for a proper rest day against restlessness
Last rest: yesterday
10 Sep
9:10am, 10 Sep 2024
10,663 posts
  •  
PeterFay
Not good to hear @alehouse . Glad that Salvador is not too upset after the event. Hope that hamstring setback is short-lived.
Busy day ahead and dreich but hope to get some kind of run in at some point. Away tonight on ferry north. Due to be windy through the day.
Lyrics not today.
10 Sep
10:13am, 10 Sep 2024
60 posts
  •  
ElspethF
Lyrics yes!
Ale hope things are OK with injury after yesterday.
hazel enjoy group run. Jungfrau marathon sounds challenging and from pictures I've seen very busy. Route makes a nicer walk I think!
Hope you're not too bored with report , ran out of steam last night, tiredness got the better of me. Anyhow more of the same.

Race route 4 mile laps through the forest for up to 12 hours but only complete laps count so can do short laps in the hayfield in last hour( about .2m) similar set up for 24 hour race which a lot more folk were doing. OK I'm a wimp. Route circles hayfield on grass then a traily rooty bit into the forest (my fave bit) and along the shores of loch morlich, which looked ever more attractive for a dip as the heat was unrelenting. Onto forestry track and slightly uphill until 2.4m water station which I think I topped up at almost every lap it was so hot at least until darkness. Then an uphill 3./4 mile followed by a steep downhill back to the start. And repeat! The heat was the main challenge all day and I wasn't going to push things too hard never having done a 12 hr before. But went pretty steady, using snacks from my race vest for first 4 laps or so then topping up from my bag which turned into a mess pretty quickly and difficult to sort stuff. Forgot to top up on suncream after a few hours as planned then on next lap couldn't find it. Scrounged a can of fizzy juice from a friend's support team (they did offer and I owe them, made a change from warm water! So blooming hot and didn't really cool until darkness fell but pace remained steady. Onto 10th lap and twilight fell with a beautiful sunset over Loch Morlich, after that full darkness, had picked up headtorch but even with it didn't feel safe running in dim light for fear of falls except when others with additional light were about so pace fell but still managing to get round each lap in under the hour. Additional fun? provided by Donald S dressed up as various gouls sneaking up behind you in the dark. Scared me each time! 12th lap completed 48 miles at about 10.58 pm so wouldn't have been wise to attempt another full lap, or maybe it would have been if I could have maintained pace but couldn't face Donald again (he's a lovely chap in daylight!) so opted for the wee laps which were around Hayfield, up a wee hill and back down again and repeat starting at 11pm. Found that after 2 easy hours I was moving well and clocking up laps then an emergency toilet stop held me up for a few mins and hard to get back into it. Still was happy enough with 16 and a half laps and the thought of a shower and warm cuppa was ahead. All very surreal doing the short laps in the dark after being basically alone in the woods for hours all these folk in high viz jackets counting laps etc and more and more folk joining the laps as the hour went on. Then suddenly over. Very happy to have made 50 miles, actually 51.6ish. Had reckoned the unexpected heat would have put 50 out of reach.
Very kindly friends Donald(different one)and Jane had waited for me having opted not to do short laps as Jane had sore knee, they had run together in the darkness, a good strategy I reckon. So got a lift back to accommodation and then they returned to Aviemore together, thanks due! Had picked up my stuff including spare warm clothes and waterproofs in a co op bag from back of someone's tent and having just finished shower and made a drink realised it was someone elses food and suncream in said co op bag and not mine. Oh no! coincided with a call from Mairi, it was her friend's bag and was needed, could I walk back with it and her support person would come and meet me half way! Oh boy,felt guilty but all was good however wasn't the best end to the night. 2am before finally all sorted!
10 Sep
10:15am, 10 Sep 2024
44,577 posts
  •  
Ness
Good morning all!

What: short walk (already done) and nothing else planned.
Why: an easy day in preparation for my next race on Sunday.
Last hard: race on the Sunday just gone.
Last easy: recovery run yesterday.
10 Sep
10:22am, 10 Sep 2024
61 posts
  •  
ElspethF
So turns out is pretty hard doing this sort of event unsupported although I had a bit of help from several friends on the day. 9th out of 27 runners in 12 hour race. So many more went on to do 24 hours and I can't imagine what that must have been like although Sunday was much cooler! back down after breakfast to retrieve my bag of clothes, none of which had been required but could easily have been a different story in Scotland in Sept.

So on to the trip home. Not as bad as I'd imagined it, stood at bus stop in Glenmore at 9am being eaten alive by midges and a car pulled up, support runner for 3 others in 12 hour race who'd been watching me run the day before but never met him before and offering me a lift into Aviemore, so kind! Then bus to Inverness where Scotland's weather reverted to mist and fog after Sat's heatwave! Coffee and train to Aberdeen where I wandered aimlessly around the shops (bought some stuff for grandkids) before boat boarding time where I was happy enough to sit and read my book until dinnertime though it was a very crowded ferry (lots of disgruntled air passengers who's flights had been cancelled due to fog).

Anyhow an interesting weekend with nice folk but am extremely tired, i think as much from the travel stress and heat as the running! Not convinced I'd do it again without support but you never know!

And now to get sorted to go to Shetland tonight for remote and rural surgeons conference/ceilidh. Should be fun!?

Veloci, hope Belfast is good! Sure you will find some running to do.
10 Sep
11:49am, 10 Sep 2024
298 posts
  •  
alehouse
Morning again!

Brilliant report, @ElspethF ! And well done on the 50+ miles! And enjoy Shetland! Your legs will love the ceilidh! I presume that is where @PeterFay is heading also!

What's the race at the weekend, @Ness ? Sounds as if it will be rather cooler than last week!

What: approx 4 mins, 4 mins, 3 mins, so upping the time on feet, but with longer recovery. So 11 minutes compared with 10 last time. Very wet so no-one about!

Why: trying to make progress. Did a decent stretch beforehand and hamstring felt fine from yesterday's incident. Will have to see tomorrow what it is like after today's exertions. Longest run since Feb 23rd!

About This Thread

Maintained by riggys99
The Daily Thread

Each day someone sets some song lyrics, often on a particular theme, eg colours, numbers, running, etc. Others then say whether they know the song or not, but DO NOT say what the song is: the answer is revealed the next day.

Current theme: COLOURS

Contributors then say
What their training will be
Why they are doing it

Some also say
Last hard
Last rest

Plus of course general comments about the weather, other people’s training or races…illness or injuries!

Feel free to join us and why not set some lyrics once you get the hang of the thread?

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 113,141 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here