•  
NDWDave
Decent collapse there
7 Sep
7:29pm, 7 Sep 2024
6,455 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Was at the Oval today. All a bit shit tbh, mainly as England appeared to be treating SL as a bit of a joke or a team that was beneath them.

Plenty of reference to Brook’s stupid batting above.

Woakes couldn’t bowl to that stupid field so obviously the other bowlers had no chance. Woakes bowled spin. Lawrence bowled for ages. I’m sure that Pope decided on the stupid field / approach but surely the other senior players can question it?

I bet England will be great tomorrow or at least show some respect to SL / basic principles of test cricket. They better be better actually!!
8 Sep
6:59am, 8 Sep 2024
17,379 posts
  •  
Badger
The spin thing was because the umpires told Pope mid over that the light was too poor for fast bowling, so Woakes just got on with four balls of spin. Umpires decided it was fine again at the end of the over. Definitely stupid, but not England's fault.
8 Sep
8:48am, 8 Sep 2024
6,456 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
They could have brought a spinner on, couldn’t they?
jda
8 Sep
10:03am, 8 Sep 2024
17,765 posts
  •  
jda
Not mid over
8 Sep
10:25am, 8 Sep 2024
6,457 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
I’m learning something here then - you can only change bowler mid over in case of injury?

Prob a rule that nobody ever thought would be required!! Shows how ridiculous the situation with the light has got I suppose!!
jda
8 Sep
11:04am, 8 Sep 2024
17,766 posts
  •  
jda
I think if someone is forced off eg for too many bouncers then a replacement is also required for the remaining balls. But you can't just decide to switch bowlers mid-over on the whim of the captain any more than you can swap batsmen.
8 Sep
11:11am, 8 Sep 2024
6,458 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
K, thanks. Like cricket needed any more rules but it seems like it does!

So, next question then. You can retire a batter, can’t you? If you just decide to retire them rather than them going off ‘hurt’ can you bring them back on? I saw that Sam Billings retired himself in a game the other day for no reason other than he was struggling to get the score moving. Could he have come back on later?
8 Sep
11:38am, 8 Sep 2024
7,679 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
No - he couldn't come back. You can be retired injured or retired out, and if you retire other than for injury, then it's retired out android can't come back
8 Sep
11:38am, 8 Sep 2024
7,680 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
[autocomplete got that wrong! and not android]

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP