Coronavirus **support** thread

3 lurkers | 160 watchers
Jun 2020
3:33pm, 3 Jun 2020
16,589 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
So the quarantine rules apply to England and are devolved elsewhere.

Asking for a friend. If a Scotsman has booked a flight from
Manchester and if it goes and he decided to get on it does he need to stay in Manchester for two weeks before driving home? Due to the late flight arrival one nights hotel stay is already booked but another two weeks plus parking is making it a bit expensive

What if a geordie was flying from Edinburgh. Could they avoid quarantine and drive home.
Jun 2020
3:44pm, 3 Jun 2020
2,357 posts
  •  
Canute
The reality of science is that even a peer reviewed publication must be interpreted cautiously. Scrutiny by a wide scientific readership (much wider than a few peer reviewers) is essential. In general, scientific findings should only be regarded as credible once there have been multiple replications.

As I described in a blog several weeks ago, science is facing a huge challenge in providing rapid answers in a situation such as the CV-19 pandemic. To some extent, modern electronic communication provides a partial answer because findings are subjected to wide scrutiny quickly. However, the down side of wide dissemination of scientific reports is that decision makers (and the lay public) might be tempted to place too much faith in scientific reports that have not yet been subjected to adequate scrutiny.

In my view it was right for the WHO to suspend the HCQ arm of their large CV-19 treatment trial in response to the Desai paper in Lancet. However they did not state that that Desai paper provided adequate grounds for concluding the HCQ had no role to play in treating CV-19. They merely suspended treatment with HCQ pending further evidence.

The bottom line is that science offers a powerful procedure for increasing our understanding of CV-19, but findings must be interpreted very cautiously. Simply saying we ‘followed the best scientific advice’ is not adequate. Extensive scrutiny of the science is essential.
Jun 2020
3:47pm, 3 Jun 2020
12,842 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Baz, interesting to know the actual rules about quarantine when travelling to and from different countries, not that I am going on a plane anytime soon. In theory in Scotland supposed to stay local and going on holiday is not essential travel.
Jun 2020
4:05pm, 3 Jun 2020
16,384 posts
  •  
Rosehip
The answer to Baz's question may well depend on the availability of a refund for said holiday based on the rules in place in their home country at the time of the holiday.
Jun 2020
4:56pm, 3 Jun 2020
17,613 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
A footballer has tested positive and will self isolate for 7 days?

Err thought it was 14?
Jun 2020
4:58pm, 3 Jun 2020
25,146 posts
  •  
pedroscalls
It's 7 days for the positive tested person and 14 for everyone else in their house.
Jun 2020
4:58pm, 3 Jun 2020
40,952 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Thought if you had it it was 7 days but anyone else in the household was 14 days to give their symptoms a chance to show.
Jun 2020
4:59pm, 3 Jun 2020
40,953 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
* cross post * that’s why both myself and OH got tested yesterday
Jun 2020
5:02pm, 3 Jun 2020
4,081 posts
  •  
run free
Am happy large scale wfh has finally happened. Understand that some folk find that an issue but see others have found ways around by having online coffee meet ups. This means you can live anywhere.

Baz - I read that if I were to fly within the UK - England, Scotland or NI - no isolation required. Some countries are also requesting an air bridge, who have had low numbers for their people to come into the country. But who would want the reciprocal arrangement from the UK into their country? ft.com Anyway going into politics now
Jun 2020
5:22pm, 3 Jun 2020
16,597 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Yeah problem is should my flight go with me on it it’s England to turkey and back. Am I then to quarantine in England before I can return to Scotland.

It’s a moot point really as I doubt the flight will go and if it does it unlikely I will be on it. However I bet they didn’t think about this or even how my overnight stay in Manchester would Work as flight lands at 2am And we don’t fancy a four hour drive especially with the time difference to factor in.

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s