Coronavirus discussion thread

1 lurker | 136 watchers
Jul 2021
10:04pm, 22 Jul 2021
3,472 posts
  •  
Tim of Fife
A naive question, but why doesn't anyone sick of suspect pinging simply delete the app or turn it off?

We can't stutter on with hundreds of thousands of people isolating. It is ludicrous.
Jul 2021
10:19pm, 22 Jul 2021
8,091 posts
  •  
sallykate
That’s exactly what they are doing Tim.

Our rubbish collection should be tomorrow but no, too many affected by the pingdemic.

Biggish Sainsbury’s in Lewisham reasonably stocked with the normal stuff but some gaps in fruit. The shortage in HGV drivers, exacerbated by the pingdemic, is probably the cause of that.
Jul 2021
10:36pm, 22 Jul 2021
28,996 posts
  •  
macca 53
No shortages in Sale, Gtr. Manchester today…..
Jul 2021
11:17pm, 22 Jul 2021
21,081 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Is there an obvious reason why the number of new cases is declining? It rose only very slightly for a couple of days, and is today (Thursday) lower than a week ago. Is it possible that the tide in this wave has turned?*

In any case, everyone must be expecting a rise in England a week or so after last Monday.

* I deplore that mixed metaphor.
Jul 2021
11:21pm, 22 Jul 2021
15,240 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I keep the app so I can check in at venues but contact tracing is off unless I am at risk of being closer to someone than I’d like if indoors.

Yes there is the ping I got a couple of weeks ago saying I’d been in a venue where someone had tested positive but I know I wasn’t in an ‘at risk’ contact and no need to isolate. Had I suspected I may have been in such a situation I could then make a decision to stay home.

I do think people will get sick of it but I also suspect some people will enjoy not having to go to work - as a hone worker now I have no benefits as I can work from home.

Quick funny on that the operations / on site workers are moaning that us home workers can technically go on holiday and not have to lose work due to isolation unlike them but they can have various suspect pings and stay off on full pay…. They don’t see that though and are ruffling the waters on hybrid worming plans 😫
Jul 2021
11:27pm, 22 Jul 2021
22,940 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I'd certainly have some questions about hybrid worming plans.
jda
Jul 2021
6:09am, 23 Jul 2021
10,545 posts
  •  
jda
More likely that the testing is getting overwhelmed Chris, though schools being out should also help. We shall see…
Jul 2021
6:12am, 23 Jul 2021
4,772 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I agree um - more people being notified of a close contact is because more people are infected and we are mixing much more.

Tim - downloading and using the app has been a way of people being socially responsible and helping to stop the spread of infection. It's doing what it's supposed to but it seems that people don't like that! It's like people being contacted by Test and Trace and not self isolating - other people then say that T&T isn't working.

I wish Chris but I suspect it's not that. Most of the schools in England break up this week so I'm expecting another rise in a couple of weeks. I'm wondering if less people are getting tested - not wanting to be unable to go on holiday if they are just feeling a bit 'groggy' maybe?
Jul 2021
8:04am, 23 Jul 2021
39,287 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
LMH, I thought school holidays were reducing contacts so infection rates were expected to go down.

School hols started 3 weeks ago in Scotland and our numbers have been going down for a couple of weeks. Most commentary that I've heard has said that kids (and teachers) in school and parents taking kids to school etc was a cause of higher numbers of infections?
um
Jul 2021
9:16am, 23 Jul 2021
4,950 posts
  •  
um
I sense it won't be accepted, but maybe the surge was in a large part due to that football thing & many people mixing and drinking & shouting etc etc. And now that it's done the round in that 'group' and their families and contacts etc, infections are scaling back, a bit? Just in time for the 'freedom' surge.

Tim - agree with LMH response and the belief that for the most part it;s doing what it's supposed to. As long as people use it with some sense, eg turning it off if leaving the phone in a locker along with 30-40 other phones left in lockers etc.

I'm assuming the 'science' (or statistics) still support isolation after 'risky contact' rather than let the person keep mixing with others until symptons appear. That's what 'living with it' means - quite a bit of disruption. Not 'ignore it and hope it goes away'.

Now to see what Tesco delivers from my list today! Only 'missing element' yesterday when shopping online yesterday was pink grapefruit juice. I can cope with that.

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
Discussion of coronavirus: share useful information, air your frustrations but play nicely!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.