Cooling Headbands at the Olympic marathon

1 lurker | 4 watchers
jda
12 Aug
8:39am, 12 Aug 2024
17,632 posts
  •  
jda
Price aside, the question for me is whether they are actually significantly better at cooling than a normal wet headband/cap or bare head. I was a bit surprised that the commentators at the marathon didn’t know how important the head is for heat loss.
12 Aug
9:58am, 12 Aug 2024
50,681 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
A certain Sifan Hassan seemed to do quite well wearing one?! :-) G
12 Aug
10:16am, 12 Aug 2024
28,225 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
I have one, and it does make a difference over and above wet headband/bandana etc.

I’ve done Ironman’s in savage heat, and you can feel its cooling effect, like when you put a cool wet headband on but the impact stays as it doesn’t get ‘warmed up’, it is a magnified evaporation cooling.

I reckon they should make them for your wrists too, but not seen yet.

Having succumbed to heat exhaustion in an Ironman (Cozumel), it was worth a try even at the cost. I’ve used it for about 4/5 years.
12 Aug
10:27am, 12 Aug 2024
70,339 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Probably one of the more rational gimmicks that have cropped up in endurance sport. I could be tempted, at a suitable price point, which £190 is not.

Anyone still wearing their Phiten necklaces?
12 Aug
10:27am, 12 Aug 2024
2,461 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
Interesting
12 Aug
10:31am, 12 Aug 2024
5,959 posts
  •  
FreshStart
Velociraptor wrote:Probably one of the more rational gimmicks that have cropped up in endurance sport. I could be tempted, at a suitable price point, which £190 is not. Anyone still wearing their Phiten necklaces?

@Velociraptor I found a couple of Phiten necklaces when I was sorting through some of the clutter in my loft last month. Phiten still very much exists phiten.biz
12 Aug
10:32am, 12 Aug 2024
56,817 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
A few were wearing them at outlaw and still very much suffering!
12 Aug
10:36am, 12 Aug 2024
70,340 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I had a wee Google and found that, @FreshStart :) Didn't do that Paula Radcliffe any harm, did it? Or maybe it was the reason she was always injured. We'll never know.

I see that Trion:Z is still on the go as well.

I do not still have the bit of sticky stuff I dutifully stuck across the bridge of my nose like everyone else for my first marathon.
12 Aug
2:57pm, 12 Aug 2024
359 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
Kipchoge wore one as well.
So did runner-up Bashir Abdi.
12 Aug
3:04pm, 12 Aug 2024
30,969 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Rumour is that you can use the Fetch tea towel for much the same effect.

About This Thread

Maintained by Mark J 🇳🇿
What are these funny looking headbands all about at the Olympics then? Anyone tried them, got one, recommend or otherwise? Look a bit odd to me but then again, so did super shoes at first.