Best glue for running shoe repair?

2 watchers
J2R
6 Sep
8:35pm, 6 Sep 2024
5,603 posts
  •  
J2R
I have a beloved pair of trail running shoes (New Balance MT110) which I bought many, many years ago, when they were going cheap as I already had a couple of pairs and loved them, and I wanted to stash a pair away in a wardrobe for the future when the others had worn out. That time has come, but unfortunately in the interim period the glue holding the soles on has obviously failed and the soles are coming away. What glue can I use to stick them back on again properly? I know there is Shoe Goo, but my understanding (which may be faulty) is that that requires air to cure, and won't work well to form a bond between two impervious surfaces. In the past I would have used a contact adhesive, but annoyingly the formulation of these seems to have changed in recent years so that they now contain cyanoacrylate ester, as in superglue, which helps them bond very quickly but means they won't work on flexible materials (or rather, materials which will flex).
6 Sep
9:54pm, 6 Sep 2024
67,823 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I had at least one pair of those. Great shoes

I’ve mended trainers including a pair of Walshes where the sole came off with Shoogoo from Amazon

amazon.co.uk
6 Sep
10:49pm, 6 Sep 2024
18,102 posts
  •  
Garfield
My dad used to use shoogoo years ago and we have some for when hubby's boots' soles separate themselves.
7 Sep
7:06am, 7 Sep 2024
3,927 posts
  •  
Bowman πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ͺ
This one was called liquisole before, but now named rubberfix, and it works very well and is the one I use.

casco.eu
J2R
7 Sep
8:57pm, 7 Sep 2024
5,604 posts
  •  
J2R
Thanks for the tips. Seems I was wrong about Shoe Goo.
9 Sep
12:34pm, 9 Sep 2024
4,541 posts
  •  
NordRunner
If the glue won't be subject to abrasion later, you'd be fine with rubber glue like you get in a puncture repair kit (in case you can't find shoe goo, or have more repair kit than punctures).
J2R
9 Sep
2:45pm, 9 Sep 2024
5,606 posts
  •  
J2R
@NordRunner , yes, I think that's probably correct. After doing some more research, I'm thinking something like this would also work well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thixofix-250ml/dp/B00ITJE8RK. So far the repair I did with Bostik contact adhesive a week ago, after the problem first manifested itself, seems to be holding up reasonably well, but I don't have the confidence to go on a long run with them yet. If the sole comes away again, I'll do a very thorough prep and try one of the contact adhesive or rubber cement things, making sure to really allow the glue to get tacky before pressing together.
J2R
16 Sep
12:12pm, 16 Sep 2024
5,617 posts
  •  
J2R
So far so good with the Thixofix...

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by J2R
I have a beloved pair of trail running shoes (New Balance MT110) which I bought many, many years ago, when they were going cheap as I already had a couple of pairs and loved them, and I wanted to stash a pair away in a wardrobe for the future when the others had worn out. That time has come, but unfortunately in the interim period the glue holding the soles on has obviously failed and the soles are coming away. What glue can I use to stick them back on again properly? I know there is Shoe Goo, b...