1 lurker | 218 watchers
Jan 2022
7:56am, 17 Jan 2022
21,468 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
lawn is 111.

grid is one.

There's a bit of the Ridgeway missing with a load of zones at the western end.

There are 50 zones around Carlisle to be joined.

And a few bits along the Devon SWCP that may get joined to the rest.

And Manchester, Walsall, Peterborough, Minehead and the Cotswolds all have smaller collections. I expect I'll only do Minehead and the Cotswolds of those this year, depending on where we have holidays.
Jan 2022
9:54am, 17 Jan 2022
84,523 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Oh wow! I thought my lawn and grid were big!
Where can I see when I first joined the game? I need to get my skates on for expansion before I start loosing stuff!

Went with my bike in the car for a ride on the Western fringes, adding a few zones. Tomorrow I am on the Northern fringes for a birthday, so planning on doing the same.

If I expanded from home, I'd be doing 150-200 km rides in the freezing cold on icey roads...

It is ok to expand not starting at home, right?
Jan 2022
9:58am, 17 Jan 2022
372 posts
  •  
paulcook
I have a lawn of 115 and grid of 0 (!) purely from running with maybe a smidgen of walking.

Most of my runs don’t start from home though I have two very distinct sections and the lawn on the second section could potentially be bigger. I do have a little plan in mind to link them though it’s not entirely a priority.
Jan 2022
4:49pm, 17 Jan 2022
286 posts
  •  
philip_m_jones
> It is ok to expand not starting at home, right?

Many of my runs start with a drive out to the edge of nowhere and then the run is from there to the middle of nowhere as a loop (generally with the major axis east to west as conquercise "squares" are not square and you shorter east to west than north to south).
Jan 2022
4:57pm, 17 Jan 2022
376 posts
  •  
paulcook
Erm. The squares are perfectly square. It’s the projection of a map that isn’t.
um
Jan 2022
5:07pm, 17 Jan 2022
5,682 posts
  •  
um
Not true paulcook ... only really squares at the equator. They get thinner the further you are from the equator
zone boundaries pop up every 0.02 degrees of latitude and longitude

If you were to run a circle, a mile radius round the North Pole, or South Pole, you should get 180,000 zones. The same as if you ran round the equator. And blow Fetch's head. And test his code.
Jan 2022
5:11pm, 17 Jan 2022
377 posts
  •  
paulcook
But the difference is infinitesimally negligible albeit they don’t look square on the map particularly the further north (or south in the Southern Hemisphere) you head. They’re as square as you’re going to get on a sphere.
Jan 2022
5:14pm, 17 Jan 2022
15,569 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Not true Paul. They really are shorter east to west than north to south on km or mile terms.
Jan 2022
5:18pm, 17 Jan 2022
15,570 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
An aspect ratio of 1.6 at 52 degrees latitude (Cambridge) if my sums are correct.
Jan 2022
5:19pm, 17 Jan 2022
27,037 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
They are 0.02 degrees in both latitude and longitude, for anyone that wants to work out how square their squares are :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by SPKoF
Come for a play:

fetcheveryone.com/game-conq.php

Here's a little explainer video. Just 90 seconds long. Please share it if you can.

https://youtu.be/Srig7-pl6pQ

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.