Cats in Boxes

8 lurkers | 97 watchers
Apr 2022
4:37pm, 3 Apr 2022
1,698 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Ours ignore the various scratching devices we’ve bought them. Carpets and furniture are obviously much more effective!

Carpets is why I’ve a new floor😂
Apr 2022
4:59pm, 3 Apr 2022
31,739 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Ours have only ever used their climbing scratchy sitty thing
Apr 2022
9:12pm, 3 Apr 2022
87,858 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Lasya is a horizontal.scratcher so doesn't use a pole. Only carpet!
Apr 2022
9:26pm, 3 Apr 2022
3,983 posts
  •  
ndellar
We’ve got cardboard horizontal scratchers dotted around, ours like them to scratch and also sit on them, win win.

One of these items is quite big, and has holes cut in and balls in the base so they can stick their paws in and play at trying to get them out
Apr 2022
6:43am, 4 Apr 2022
9,151 posts
  •  
Raemond
The potato Nori has taken to defiling a variety of things that are definitely not litter trays - dog beds, plastic bags, one corner of the human sofa, running shoes...

Even after the dog beds have been freshly laundered, he's returned to them and pissed and shat on them immediately.

The Foster woman he used to be with kept them and their tray in her bedroom, so presumably was super hot on emptying it stop I thought maybe we weren't meeting his exacting standards of litter box hygiene - but I cleaned both out last night and he seems to have made directly for the clean dog beds :(

'Nny never had this issue, he would sometimes stage a dirty protest, but it generally clear what he was upset about.

Any suggestions for the how we can stop him from besmirching every soft surface in the house?
Apr 2022
7:00am, 4 Apr 2022
26,546 posts
  •  
Lizzie Whizz
Different litter?
Apr 2022
7:52am, 4 Apr 2022
9,534 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Oreo likes the horizontal cardboard scratchers too, I keep having to hoover up shredded cardboard but it’s better than shredded carpets.
CK2
Apr 2022
8:16am, 4 Apr 2022
1,176 posts
  •  
CK2
I’m not sure if this is any help Rae but I’ve found their guides useful - cats.org.uk - my other thought was is he marking his territory at all? Sorry I’m not more help.
Apr 2022
9:55am, 4 Apr 2022
87,897 posts
  •  
Hanneke
My thought was: he feels "cornered" by all these creatures he now finds himself sharing with so is making sure he dirties and marks all their bedding areas to show that he needs more exclusive territory?

Lasya has taken a dump on the new sofa and the new rug: making a point about not liking them. She only did it once. She poops in front of the litter box when madam thinks it needs cleaning, then sits next to it wailing so pretty clear in her messages.

Maybe give the cats sole access to the craftorium? I.e. no dogs allowed in? Then at least they have a space they can have to themselves? Put a child gate in front of the door, cats and you go in and out freely, dogs kept outside? Put clean litter trays there AND elsewhere?
Lasya prefers privacy for her ablutions. She loves the box I put over the litter tray!
Apr 2022
10:05am, 4 Apr 2022
1,593 posts
  •  
Vixx
Our two (14 at the time) suddenly decided to do everything in boxes in the spare room (NOT litter trays, but storage boxes for paperwork). We'd changed the litter to the pellet style, so changed it back and all good.

About This Thread

Maintained by Corrah
All the cat people out there know that cats love boxes, so go on then and lets see you feline friend. Boxes optional :) This is the cat appreciation thread along with Miaow, Purr, Yawn!