Cats in Boxes

1 lurker | 97 watchers
Feb 2022
6:04pm, 25 Feb 2022
3,967 posts
  •  
ndellar
(Sorry for the spelling and auto correct I’m typing on my phone)
Feb 2022
6:14pm, 25 Feb 2022
31,230 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I had just taken the last item of shopping out
Feb 2022
6:15pm, 25 Feb 2022
14,634 posts
  •  
IT GRANNY 🇮🇸
Oh goodness, if I let Peggý out hungry, there'd be no birds left!

I considered letting her out for a short time today but since she was already at the window scoping the wee redpolls on the tree, I decided against it. I fear she will have to adjust to being an inside cat.
Feb 2022
6:15pm, 25 Feb 2022
14,635 posts
  •  
IT GRANNY 🇮🇸
❤EP!
Feb 2022
6:19pm, 25 Feb 2022
10,288 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
That's how we did it Ndellar. We also got ours to associate a particular sound (treat tub being rattled) with the treat which helped a bit. I nearly had a nervous breakdown and spent hours on this thread fretting but they were fine.

We were also told not to always shut them in every time they came back - give a small treat and let them go off again sometimes so they don't associate you with always shutting them in.

Boba did bolt over the fence on day 2. He scared himself so much he ran in and didn't go out again for days!

My main advice is trust happens on both sides and is built slowly. Also get a supply of gin for your nerves.
Feb 2022
7:13pm, 25 Feb 2022
3,968 posts
  •  
ndellar
gin thank you!! LF

They are good eaters and are already very much in tune with me hitting the food bowl before meals / sound of dreamie tub shaking - those sounds will certainly get them from wherever in the house they are to wherever I am. Hope it works with the outdoors as well although I get it’s all exciting and distracting for them!
Feb 2022
7:16pm, 25 Feb 2022
10,289 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
The council have cut back Boba's fave hidey place just over our fence and I fretted when we let him put this afternoon. I was glad to see him bob up over the fence when I clanked the food bowls.
Feb 2022
7:29pm, 25 Feb 2022
9,018 posts
  •  
Raemond
Share this story in NL way to scare the guardian of a normal cat, Judy to reminisce about my late friend.

My old idiot, 'Nny, was a total inside cat for a year or so, then the dope fell out of a window in my first floor apartment and refused to be immediately retrieved from under the shrub where he took shelter. But it had to be goop to work, stop I left him expecting that he wouldn't leave the garden of the building where my flat was.
When I came back, he was gone.
A little while later I saw him run across the road into an abandoned warehouse complex, so I climbed over the fence and tracked him to a building where he seemed to have been staying but he was behind an intact window and wouldn't come to the small hole in a broken window where he had presumably got in.

A few days later some friends and I pulled off a sting where we sat in the middle of the complex with a blanket between us with fresh roast chicken in the middle waited for 'Nny to venture into the circle, then bundled him up in the blanket, put him in a cardboard box y, wrapped that in another blanket, and handed the whole bundle between us as we climbed back over the fence.

By the time we were back in my flat, a total of maybe 50 metres, he had broken through the Carfb box and was nearly through the outer blanket.
He never left that flat again until he was taken out in proper cat carrier to move to Cardiff.
Feb 2022
7:38pm, 25 Feb 2022
25,405 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Goodness. Ours frightened us a few times by going off on an extended catabout but they have spent a long time observing out the windows and were actually quite confident about coming back when they were good and ready
Feb 2022
7:59pm, 25 Feb 2022
665 posts
  •  
Silent Runner
Bit of boisterous behaviour this morning.

About This Thread

Maintained by Corrah
All the cat people out there know that cats love boxes, so go on then and lets see you feline friend. Boxes optional :) This is the cat appreciation thread along with Miaow, Purr, Yawn!