Camping and caravan club - and other numpty camping questions

19 watchers
May 2017
7:47am, 7 May 2017
8,695 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I have just about decided that the only way to get more holidays and long weekends away is to buy a tent.

However, when researching sites I find many don't do online bookings/availability and can envisage spending more time looking for a site and making fruitless phonecalls than I will actually camping!

Is anyone a member of the C&CClub and if so does it make site finding/booking easier and are there any other benefits that make it worthwhile

[and before you suggest it, wild camping would be an option for me+dog - but not with youngest and/or husband in tow ]
May 2017
8:44am, 7 May 2017
8,696 posts
  •  
Rosehip
More investigation tells me membership will pay for itself in discounts, so if anyone is a member and wants to introduce me as their friend this morning to get whatever it is they're offering for such introductions ...
May 2017
9:43am, 7 May 2017
1,715 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
Was a member.
Found that many C&C sites were way too expensive and had weird rules. So found it easier to just find my own way....

This was a decade or two ago that I had with the experience of the C&C, so may be completely out of touch.

Hopefully someone has some more up to date experience :-)
May 2017
10:30am, 7 May 2017
22,807 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
We have had two or three great breaks with C & C over last couple of years. Rules aren't too bad and a big plus for us is many sites have secure off-site dog walking areas including several acres of moorland by a sea loch on Skye. As you've noticed the membership pays for itself! Highly recommended if you don't mind camping with caravans. We mix up say 10 days C & C with bivvy micro-adventures and weekend back packs for a best of both worlds vibe. If caravan parks and regular lawn mowing aren't your thing maybe get the cool camping books, or similar ;-)
May 2017
10:33am, 7 May 2017
22,808 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk

campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk

Two good 'uns :-)
May 2017
2:16pm, 7 May 2017
34,594 posts
  •  
Fierce and Fearless Fleecy
We are members, there are a couple of sites which are full of miserable old wankers and/or weird rules (Chertsey, avoid!!!) but mostly you are guaranteed decent sites with enough space and clean toilet blocks. A couple of their small sites (CSes I think they're called) are really nice though not all have loos. Booking is pretty easy. Campsite reviews are useful, just avoid any written by brand new campers or really fussy campers :) ukcampsite is good for reviews I find.
May 2017
2:26pm, 7 May 2017
8,699 posts
  •  
Rosehip
thanks folks - time to sign up, get the discount and press buy on the tent then :)

I can see a couple of sites that I could get to on a Friday after work - just as a stop-over on the way up to Carlisle to collect/visit/return daughter would make it worthwhile I think (as long as I can put the thing up on my own quick enough) - cheaper than Travellodges premier Inns etc anyway. Having a house full of scouts, I have everything else bar the tent.

Getting excited now :)

If anyone wants the free fleece or a £10 site voucher login and press the recommend a friend button whilst I'm cutting the lawn and fmail the link you get.............
May 2017
6:52pm, 7 May 2017
34,605 posts
  •  
Fierce and Fearless Fleecy
How big a tent are you getting? You might want just a pop up tent for overnighting and quick setup, the teen could inhabit the tent if you go for longer with a bigger tent for you and the husband and the dog...
May 2017
7:31pm, 7 May 2017
8,703 posts
  •  
Rosehip
A 3 man 1 bedroom thing - with the non- bedroom bit big enough for youngest and dog to sleep in. Should be okay for 1,2 or 3 of us and was the cheapest I could find with room to stand up and a decent waterproof rating - needed for Cumbria! Will also be useful for staying up at my folks :)
Next weekend we'll see if I can put it up!
EdJ
May 2017
7:36pm, 7 May 2017
204 posts
  •  
EdJ
@RH - if you want a biggish tent, ours hasn't been used for a year or two, and J is making threatening noises about selling it. You would be welcome to borrow it for a season and see how you get on. It's an Outwell Montanna 6. Would be tough to put up on your own, but would be spacious if you wanted to stay more than the odd night.

About This Thread

Maintained by Rosehip
I have just about decided that the only way to get more holidays and long weekends away is to buy a ...