A Good Cup of Coffee

1 lurker | 78 watchers
8 Jul
11:40am, 8 Jul 2024
25,027 posts
  •  
larkim
At a higher end price wise, the 1zpresso JX pro is very highly recommended apparently. Just over £100 I think.

I've got this one on my desk at work sigmacoffee.co.uk but many of the timemore ones get good reviews.
8 Jul
12:15pm, 8 Jul 2024
24,080 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Larkin, that’s great, thanks. Will look at this when I’m home from work. I’ll also call into 2Day Coffee here in Bristol and ask them about hand grinders too.
8 Jul
5:12pm, 8 Jul 2024
4,506 posts
  •  
jacdaw
You'll be lucky to find one of those kingrinders; they sold out within 30 minutes of James' video!
15 Jul
4:15pm, 15 Jul 2024
3,206 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
Can anyone help me decide on a new coffee machine?

Our Delonghi Dinamica has just died on us. I think it would be fixable, but can't find anyone local to fix it and Delonghi would charge nearly £200 to fix. I'd be as well with a new machine, as it's 5 years old now anyway. Basically, the water goes directly to the drip tray and doesn't come out the spouts any more.

Considering just getting another Dinamica, as it does a good job and is nice and quick in the morning. I have no desire to learn how to work a full coffee machine like they have in the shops. Decent one button, bean to cup is ideal.

- It doesn't have to do fully automated lattes, but that would be a bonus.
- It would massively benefit us to have some options to setup coffees in advance; "Ronnie's long, Ronnie's Americano, wifey's latte..."
- Budget around £400-500.

Thanks!
15 Jul
5:01pm, 15 Jul 2024
25,136 posts
  •  
larkim
If water is heading directly to the drip tray, that sounds like the same symptoms that espresso machines get when their 3 way valve (solenoid valve) gets blocked.

It might be that a robust descale would solve the problem; it certainly works on my machine when I get those symptoms on my gaggia. Though it could be that the mechanism to divert the water from the grouphead to the exhaust port (to the drip tray) has failed in some way which is specific to your machine etc.

Or that all might be a complete red herring!!! But I've had a decent track record over the last 5 years or so of getting things working again, so I'm a keen enthusiast for pulling machines apart and watching a youtube video to put it back together again!!

(And sorry, I know that's not answering the question you raised!)
15 Jul
5:08pm, 15 Jul 2024
1,473 posts
  •  
RunnyBunny
If it's not repairable there are deals on the Eletta on Amazon and the De'Longhi site as there's a newer model. The Amazon blurb implies you can memorise the customisation, but the De'Longhi site spec is a bit vague. Looks like it might be a higher spec one than a Dinamica but the old model is just under £500, new model nearer £900. I've been wondering about one.
15 Jul
5:32pm, 15 Jul 2024
3,207 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
Anyone know what all the numbers mean? 350 370, then .35, .70, etc.

My old one is the 350.35.W.
15 Jul
5:34pm, 15 Jul 2024
3,208 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
Tempted to pull it apart larkim, but probably won't get it back together again!
15 Jul
7:55pm, 15 Jul 2024
25,137 posts
  •  
larkim
The B and W I can help with - black or white colour!!

I think the second number is a hierarchy; the .35 has more features (e.g. personalised menu) than the .15.
15 Jul
9:40pm, 15 Jul 2024
3,209 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
Cool thanks!

About This Thread

Maintained by Red Squirrel
Non-tea drinker here and nowhere to talk about the caffeine bean, so I thought I'd start a thread. ...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.