A Good Cup of Coffee

78 watchers
Feb 2021
10:28pm, 22 Feb 2021
70,773 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I bought some of those dark packaged beans in Aldi the other day, good to hear they pass muster Dvorak.
Feb 2021
8:57am, 23 Feb 2021
16 posts
  •  
depeche_mould
Thanks Lettuce, Larkin and Dvorak. I just needed some encouragement to whip out the credit card -- which you have all thoughtfully provided 😊
Feb 2021
3:15pm, 23 Feb 2021
4,211 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
My coffee grinder (de Longhi) was only about £30 does job perfectly. If I want it finer I just shake and grind for longer. Have never felt the need to buy a really expensive one. What am I missing ?
Feb 2021
3:31pm, 23 Feb 2021
3,753 posts
  •  
Tav H
I used an Iberital MC2 grinder when I had a proper espresso machine. I guess the DeLonghi isn't a burr grinder, which is probably fine for filter but not for espresso where you want a very consistent powder to get good results every time.
Feb 2021
3:53pm, 23 Feb 2021
3,197 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I've had a couple of cheap grinders, one of which was just about ok for espresso and lasted a few years, the other wasn't and didn't.

If you want proper espresso and have a proper espresso machine, you need a good grinder, and that will cost at least £200. Or you can find a supplier who will grind to your exact (ish) needs, and suffer the reduced flavour of using ground.

The only cheap alternative is a hand grinder, if you can get a good one.

My blade grinder (sacrilege) is excellent for everything else other than espresso, it just grinds a bit unevenly.

One day I will be able to justify a Rancilio Rocky.
Feb 2021
4:02pm, 23 Feb 2021
3,755 posts
  •  
Tav H
The Iberital MC2 is £130 on Happy Donkey.
Feb 2021
4:07pm, 23 Feb 2021
7,357 posts
  •  
Mouseytongue
I’m using the Porlex mini hand grinder

amazon.co.uk

Not cheap, but has lasted 3 1/2 years of daily use and feels like it’ll last another 30! Previous 2 DeLonghi electric burr grinders only lasted about 2 years each.
Feb 2021
4:20pm, 23 Feb 2021
13,586 posts
  •  
larkim
I got a Gaggia burr grinder with the Gaggia Classic machine and it's ok for what I do (though it makes a mess) but I know it's sub-par in terms of being able to handle different beans and get precisely adjusted. I need to know for myself whether I care enough though - I'm getting perfectly tasty espresso out for my palate, and whilst I do know a *really* good espresso when I have one, I'm perfectly happy really with what I've got. As a gadget man though I'd love a "proper" grinder to play with!
Feb 2021
6:08pm, 23 Feb 2021
4,215 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
Aaaah I get ya that makes sense about the grinder !
rhb
Feb 2021
6:19pm, 23 Feb 2021
1,631 posts
  •  
rhb
Iberital MC2 is a bit of a faff to adjust, the worm screw is very slow to move per twist. Otherwise, it is a great first electric burr grinder.

About This Thread

Maintained by Red Squirrel
Non-tea drinker here and nowhere to talk about the caffeine bean, so I thought I'd start a thread. ...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.