A Good Cup of Coffee

1 lurker | 78 watchers
Feb 2021
6:29pm, 20 Feb 2021
215 posts
  •  
Hertford Tiger
Just had my first taste of the Ugandan Robusta beans. Very distinctive and brings back memories of the coffee in Vietnam and Indonesia. Not sure I’ll buy again but an interesting experiment.

Back to my Aldi Kenyan beans after this.
Feb 2021
11:53pm, 20 Feb 2021
70,744 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I roasted beans in Tanzania, which I then bought and brought home. Very nice, much nicer than the supposedly posh beans from Kenya a client gave me a couple of years back. Also a very distinctive flavour/taste.
Feb 2021
10:10am, 21 Feb 2021
13,563 posts
  •  
larkim
Bottomless fun :-)

https://youtu.be/xfImRI6fEDk
rhb
Feb 2021
11:23am, 21 Feb 2021
1,626 posts
  •  
rhb
Nice.
Feb 2021
1:45pm, 21 Feb 2021
70,750 posts
  •  
Hanneke
That is some serious crema on that coffee!
Feb 2021
6:32pm, 21 Feb 2021
13,564 posts
  •  
larkim
All style, moderate substance! It's actually decaf beans, but when it comes out like that it does actually taste ok, especially in an Americano.

I'm sure a proper barista would be very critical of my grinder, the absence of me weighing the grounds, and the fact that the beans aren't freshly roasted, but it's definitely an improvement on what I was drinking a few weeks ago.
Feb 2021
7:52pm, 22 Feb 2021
15 posts
  •  
depeche_mould
Can someone please tell me how it's essential I purchase a grinder so that I can justify some lavish spending. I'm using a small food processor / whizzer thing which does grind but it is a bit uneven to say the least...
Feb 2021
8:00pm, 22 Feb 2021
22,018 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I have a small whizzer and I ground some coffee beans today. I give it a whizz, turn it off, give it a shake, then another whizz. When the coffee is stuck up the side, it is generally finely enough ground for my filter. I then give it another shake, so that the coffee sticking to the lid doesn't just fall out when I open it :-)

This obviously is not a purists approach, but it does me. Beans btw were Aldi Columbian, but I think a special, not the usual line (dark blue packet). Would buy again, if available.
Feb 2021
9:41pm, 22 Feb 2021
13,576 posts
  •  
larkim
I get the impression a "good" (for that, read £200+) grinder is "needed" for consistently consistent espressos. But that does feel desperately OTT compared to what we might invest in making any other drink for ourselves.

I've spent time over the last few weeks on a coffee dedicated forum, and their passion (and willingness to part with money in the search of perfect espresso in particular) is impressive!
Feb 2021
9:48pm, 22 Feb 2021
1,532 posts
  •  
Love Lettuce
Depeche_mould I upgraded from a hand grinder to an £80 electric burr grinder and I'm never going back. Nice consistent grounds dispensed in suitably sized portions - it makes my morning. I hope that helps you justify some expenditure ;-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Red Squirrel
Non-tea drinker here and nowhere to talk about the caffeine bean, so I thought I'd start a thread. ...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.