50 different beers in 2024

18 watchers
May 2022
1:20am, 16 May 2022
1,684 posts
  •  
Weean
I am currently travelling for work, for the first time in a long time. This is expanding my beer horizons, although the first place I went to was pubitalia.ca so it wasn't mainly the local stuff.

The night before I flew over though, I went to our local 'Loungers' pub, where the Dead Pony Club has been replaced by:
37. (draught) Brewdog Planet Pale (4.3%). As inoffensive and forgettable as the DBC, but with a slightly higher ABV.

38. (draught) Hacker-Pschorr Dunkel Weiss (5.3%). The emphasis decidedly on the dunkel over the weiss.
36. (can) Schneider Weiss (tap 7 "Mein Original") (5.4%).
39. (draught) Vedett Extra White (4.7%). Bit heavy on the citrus.
40. (draught) Brunswick Pineapple Ninja (4.8%). A wheat beer, this one threw me a bit by being filtered rather than cloudy. Kristall is a thing, so I was ok with that, but it wasn't as pineapply as I was expecting either.
41 (draught) Kona Big Wave (4.4%). Very nice. I wouldn't cross the Atlantic to find it, but it was the pick of today's beers.
May 2022
8:56am, 16 May 2022
28,610 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
Friday night in the local. Sunday shopping in Nottingham, turned into lunch and bus pub crawl.

Blue Monkey Tie A Yellow Gibbon 4.7%
Pheasantry Brewery Pilgrim 3.9%
Dark Star Bresery Hop Head 3.8%
Mahou 5.1%
Greene King Abbot Ale 5%
Castle Rock Inbetween Days 4.5%
Black Iris Brewery Let the Devil In 5.5%
Dancing Duck Brewery Beaky Blinders 4.5%
May 2022
9:24am, 16 May 2022
1,013 posts
  •  
Weath
There are some good pubs in Norwich. Did you visit the Artichoke - it's one that has been recommended to me but I have yet to manage to get there.

Sadly not. Apart from the obligatory 'Spoons it was The Rose Pub & Deli, Red Lion (Bishopgate) and the Coachmakers. Either through luck or good judgement each offered something different but perfect for the times of day when we staggered in.
May 2022
11:46am, 16 May 2022
33,800 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Holiday update soon.....
May 2022
12:16am, 17 May 2022
1,685 posts
  •  
Weean
37. (bottle) Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale (5%). I remember having this about ten years ago and not enjoying it (too hoppy), but I liked it today. Probably like a hops-equivalent movement of the Overton window, beers have moved to be more hoppy over the last decade.
38. (bottle) Mill St. Original Organic Lager (4.2%). Tending towards crisp, easy drinking Canadian lager.
42. (draught) Trou du Diable (brewery) Les Quatre Surfeus del'Apocolypso (beer) (6.5%). I assumed I had been served the wrong beer until I got back to the hotel and checked it out https://troududiable.com/en/beers/les-4-surfeurs-de-lapocalypso/. Tasted like a lager, and not a very nice one at that.
43. (draught) Creemore Springs Belgian Style Witbier (5.1%? - this isn't easy to find online). A bit orange-y, but that might have been down to the massive chunk of orange hanging off the side of the glass.

To my utter astonishment, pick of the night was the Alexander Keith's. As I'm reasonably captive at the conference venue, I may have another before this week is out.
May 2022
12:34am, 18 May 2022
1,687 posts
  •  
Weean
44. (draught) Beyond the Pale Pink Fuzz (6%). Another over-strong wheat beer that tastes like a lager. Not a fan.
45. (draught) Unibroue Blanche de Chambly (5%). Actually a pretty decent approximation of a Belgian Wit.
May 2022
7:44am, 18 May 2022
33,808 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Sometimes I think I would like to see a blindfold taste test of Organic v non organic beer and a price comparison.

Update soon.
May 2022
1:50pm, 20 May 2022
1,688 posts
  •  
Weean
46. (draught) Alexander Keith's Red Amber Ale (5%). I also had a pint of the IPA, but won't be adding it since it's already on my bottle list. Although I generally prefer amber beers to IPAs, in this case the IPA (the original Alexander Keith's, I believe) was head and shoulders above the amber.

39. (can) Molson Canadian Lager (5%). It's Canadian lager.
May 2022
4:52pm, 20 May 2022
33,828 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
I think

Stag, Scottish Ale ( i take that as slightly sweet bitter, 4.1%, Cairngorm (cask)
Inochi, IPA, 6.8% Torrside Brewery (bottle)
Myrcia, Session IPA, 4%, Buxton Brwery (can)
Pint, bitter, 3.9%, Marble Beers, (can)
Lightness, Pale Ale, 3.8%, Loch Ness (bottle)
Pale Ale, 3.7%, Cloudwater (can)
Red Cow, Bitter, 4.2%, StrathCarron (cask)
Golden COw, Golden Ale, 3.8%, StrathCaron (cask)
Beack Break, Pale Ale, 4%, Harbour (bottle)
Vital SPark, Dark Ale, 4.4%, Fyne Ales (cask)
Heverlell, Blonde Lager (!), 4.8%, (cask), Hot day
Orkney Gold, Pale ALe, 4.5%, (bottle)
Citra, Golden Ale, 4%, Bridge Beers
May 2022
4:53pm, 20 May 2022
33,829 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
that takes me up to 67, full updated list soon.....

About This Thread

Maintained by Ocelot Spleens
and here we are in 2024....

I still really like a pint.

I think this is not too controversial health wise. Lots of beers about these days. I interpret it as different beers within 2023, and you can, if you like; avoid beers you have had before, but as ever the list is yours to do what you like.