Track & Field Fetchies

56 watchers
Jun 2008
12:14pm, 23 Jun 2008
315 posts
  •  
sLickster
Grrr - as it happens I got my first pair of spikes only last Monday :-) The reason being that I plan to do a number of 100m 400m 800m races this summer.

Firstly, not being an expert I went and saw an expert in the local running shop who basically took me through a load of different ones to find which would be most comfortable. As it turns out these were pretty much the same make/model as the 'racing flats' I had bought about 3-4 months ago. Which is relevant to this...

...I would say that for me, anything over for arguments sake 1500m/1 mile I would be happy to wear my 'flats' on the track (as I have done before I got the spikes), but anything classed as a sprint or shortish race I think the spikes gave a much bigger advantage. Looking at your intentions 800m+ and speed do you have a set of lightweight flats? If not then you may wish to consider either flats or spikes, but obviously that is for you to decide :-) Incidentally, I took about half a second off my 100m time at the weekend, must have been something to do with the new spikes ;-)
Jun 2008
12:22pm, 23 Jun 2008
285 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
slickster, thanks too. i think i might stick with my road shoes for a bit (saucony omni grid 6) then. I don't think I'll be doing 100, 200 and 400m. Just fancied doing something shorter and faster than a marathon! Did one day training on the track with the club and it was great fun. But I don't think I'll be much faster than about 6:30 for a mile, so I'm not competitive at all. Just doing it for fun!

The only reason for thinking about spikes was that if I do have to run in them I assume they must feel very different to cushioned road shoes, so wanted to get the "feel" of them. But if they're really only for sub 1500m then I probably don't need them. Thanks again guys.
Jun 2008
12:23pm, 23 Jun 2008
2,323 posts
  •  
Rach E
I personally hate track spikes. I have a pair of Nike long distance track spikes (i.e. designed for 1500m+) and just find them uncomfortable to run in. Unless you're planning to take track seriously from the off, I'd just race in your normal racing shoes (I use my racing flats on the track). If you find you enjoy it and are going to do a lot of racing, then maybe consider some spikes.

If Jo Pavey races on the track in her road racing flats some of the time, then that's good enough for me!

The main difference between XC spikes and track spikes are that track spikes have a firmer plate...
Jun 2008
12:29pm, 23 Jun 2008
317 posts
  •  
sLickster
If you want to dabble in some shorter stuff you are likely to get much better value from buying some lightweight flats (than spikes) which you can use both on the track and in shorter road races. I only do up to 10k races and use the flats in all distances up to that. It really did feel different to race in them compared to the heavy 'mileage' shoes. I haven't done much training on the track, so maybe someone who does (like Blister?) could advise as to if they wear there spikes in training, as I wouldn't tend to. Again the flats are 'good enough' and give the perhaps placebo effect that you've still got more to come when you do put your spikes on for racing only.
Jun 2008
12:29pm, 23 Jun 2008
286 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks Rach E. Makes sense I guess. And no, I can't see me being competive (I mean, not fast - though I always want to do my best), so shaving a half second off here or there ain't going to make a difference! I will need to get X country spikes tho at some point, for safety rather than speed. Felt like I spent a lot of time on my ar*e in the mud last winter! Thanks again.
Jun 2008
12:31pm, 23 Jun 2008
287 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ahh, slickster, think I've just shown my ignorance here. "Racing flats" aren't just normal road shoes then? I'm going to the shop now to have a look and a chat (any excuse!) as I suspect I've totally missed something!
Jun 2008
12:33pm, 23 Jun 2008
4,704 posts
  •  
Blister
I've only recently started using spikes, I didn't before because my calf's would get too sore. Now that I have built up to using them I do at least 2 track sessions a week and now I always warm up / cool down in trainers then wear my spikes for the main session, but thats mainly because I need to be able to run quick for the sort of reps we do.

I'm doing 800m, 1500m and some 3000m's this year and I will now use spikes for all those distances - some people reckon it can make as much difference as 1 sec per lap.
Jun 2008
12:48pm, 23 Jun 2008
138 posts
  •  
AlanR
I have the one pair of spikes for both track and xc races. When i was in getting my spikes a guy seamus from brooks was in the store he said that a middle distance track spike would do for both.
Jun 2008
1:10pm, 23 Jun 2008
288 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
brilliant, blister and alan r. I've just been down to the store and the middle distance and x country spike shoes are really similar (a bit more cushioning and tread on the x country, a bit firmer front plate on the middle distance). The middle distance ones are in the sale with 6mm spikes, plus a set of 12mm spikes for xcountry for winter. Job done! Now I've just got to start running a bit faster on the track to justify having the the kit!!
Jun 2008
1:55pm, 23 Jun 2008
139 posts
  •  
AlanR
what spikes did you get. I think mine current ones are a nerve ld by brooks. Only set my back £36 so for my first pair i couldnt go wrong.

Looking out for a new pair at the minute. So far a pair of white mizuno middle distance spikes look good.

About This Thread

Maintained by SPR
AKA the amateur athletics thread. For discussing our T&F exploits including indoors for those that do it.

Season events you're planning on doing can be added in the here (eg 1500, 3000SC, LJ, JT), if you have a goals for those events these can be added in brackets next to the event. *=previous season. If you prioritise a specific event then the list will be in order of your most important. Let me know if you want to be added.

anthonyj89* - 10000 (29:59), 5000 (14:29)
CC2 Speedy Goth* - 10000, masters league
Gobi* -
J2R* -
Larkim* - 3000 (Sub 11:00)
Maclennane* - JT (33m), DT (25m)
markgall - 1500 (PB), 5000 (sub 17:00) ✅
Roberto* - 3000SC (sub 10:30), 400H (66.xx)
Sharkie* - 100 (inc relay), 200, LJ, HJ, JT, DT, SP
SPR - 800, 1500, 5000, 400?

Let me know if there's any information that would be useful to add to links or here for those looking for events, etc.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.