Too Good to Go

19 watchers
May 2023
8:26am, 9 May 2023
7,981 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
I don’t wish to be curmudgeonly (but I’m sorry, I think I’m going to be), we don’t use Too Good to Go as there’s nothing close enough to us to be worthwhile. That’s nearly all “use by” items with only one that appears freezable, although admittedly it’s mostly veg items so some leeway on the date. I get that the point is to reduce waste, and you’ve got £22 (or £10, depending on your view point) worth of food for £4, but how is it cheaper/better than what you had planned to eat anyway? Again, I’m sorry to be rude, :-( but none of these photos are really selling the idea to me.
May 2023
8:56am, 9 May 2023
25,144 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
The Morrisons bag I got a few weeks ago - celery, carrots, some ready meals and other things that I can’t recall now - was all used. Some went in the freezer and we had when we went away in the campervan.

The Starbucks and local bakers bags are an occasional purchase. Most items have been freezable.
I understand that they are not as healthy as home cooked meals, but sometimes having a croissant for breakfast, or a cheese and ham toastie for lunch makes a pleasant change.
May 2023
9:39am, 9 May 2023
2,489 posts
  •  
Big_G
We used Too Good To Go a couple of times whilst we were in New York recently as our hotel didn’t have breakfast, and breakfasts at local places were pricey (not much change out of $50 for two). So a Too Good To Go with a couple of bagels and pastries worked well for us, for about $7.
May 2023
12:49pm, 9 May 2023
40,661 posts
  •  
Nellers
Depends what you get in the bag, Fizz. Sometimes it’s honestly rubbish and you feel like you’ve wasted £4. Not often, though.

And that bag will be most of a couple of meals for me and Mrs Nellers.

I’ll be honest, though. The main thing is that it makes me get off my arse a few times a week and go for a walk, plus there’s a bit of lottery-like anticipation of what you’re going to get.
May 2023
1:18pm, 9 May 2023
25,148 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
We have a rule that we don’t open the bag until we get home and there is a certain amount of anticipation/excitement involved.
May 2023
1:22pm, 9 May 2023
40,662 posts
  •  
Nellers
We do the same GM.

Also there's a fair bit of stuff that I/we just wouldn't buy at full price so there is a bit of an element of variety (and sometimes luxury) that comes with getting random stuff.

I guess it depends on which shops you're getting your bags from. Ours aren't just good to go bags. They're M&S good to go bags. ;-)
May 2023
1:48pm, 9 May 2023
13,913 posts
  •  
Alice the Camel
I’ve just started using TGTG. I’ve had a couple of Costa bags - ok , always 3 items, usually vegan wraps (which I’m not keen on) and a cake. On the other hand, the Cafe Nero bags have been excellent - up to 6 Danish pastries plus 3 or 4 other delicious cakes. I’ve had to stop looking as I was being tempted too often!
May 2023
1:51pm, 9 May 2023
7,983 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
Our nearest outlet is a garage a mile away, which has Greggs, Starbucks, Subway and a mini Asda all doing slightly different offerings, after that it’s at least three miles to various other places. The M&S garage is about six miles away, although we do have a food hall about three miles away, but they don’t do it.

If it’s as much about the walk and the gamble as the actual food, that’s fair enough :-) I’ll wait until I move somewhere “better” ;-)
May 2023
2:43pm, 9 May 2023
25,150 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
Those Cafe Nero bags are good, Alice!
May 2023
4:32pm, 9 May 2023
13,914 posts
  •  
Alice the Camel
They are, GM, just very calorie heavy!

About This Thread

Maintained by GimmeMedals
Have you rescued any Magic Bags today?

I've had the Too Good to Go app on my phone for a few months but not had any success with finding any Magic Bags of food that needed saving near me. If you've not come across it, local shops, cafes and pubs offer bags of unsold food at discounted prices as long as you can collect within a short window of time just before they close, usually.
Today I've reserved 2 bags from Cooplands bakery in our local little town, to be collected 3-3:15p...