Things you don't understand watch - have you got things you don't understand?

59 watchers
Jun 2023
7:49pm, 2 Jun 2023
2,664 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
What ever happened to jelly in a pork pie?
Jun 2023
8:31am, 8 Jun 2023
397 posts
  •  
Pale Skinny Vegan
Why everyone wants me to download their app.
I can't see anything wrong with watching YouTube videos, checking my phone bill or bank balance, or tracking a parcel on a website, yet they all want me to use their app.
What's in it for me?
What's in it for them?
Jun 2023
9:11am, 8 Jun 2023
9,810 posts
  •  
GordonG
A1 probably not much
A2 probably quite a lot
Jun 2023
9:14am, 8 Jun 2023
79,479 posts
  •  
Diogenes
A1 - a better user experience, allegedly.
Jun 2023
9:16am, 8 Jun 2023
17,712 posts
  •  
JK *chameleon*
Downloading an app means you're likely to retain the app on your phone, and so potentially re-use the service or be able to receive push notifications.
Jun 2023
3:43pm, 8 Jun 2023
3,049 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
I think it's known as “appification” of the web. I have about 6 irritating apps for parcel tracking, so, of course, I need to check all of them compulsively when something is on the way.
Jun 2023
4:07pm, 8 Jun 2023
21,245 posts
  •  
larkim
When it's done well, it presents the info much better and offers controls that a browser may not be able to provide. e.g. finger print access for online banking perhaps?

But often a quick redesign of their website for mobile devices would work far better.
Jun 2023
7:41pm, 8 Jun 2023
24,966 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
For many years I have been frustrated when abroad that foreigners always cut across me when I am out running or walking.

It was only last week when I was in Portugal that I realised we are programmed to move in one way as we drive on the left while most other countries go the opposite way as they drive on the right and hence why I always get frustrated
Jun 2023
11:20pm, 8 Jun 2023
3,055 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
I get that in Norway. We don't have the equivalent of the Highway Code tips, such as running contraflow so you can see the oncoming traffic. Since cyclists use the pedestrian path, I like to run contraflow, which seems to confuse oncoming cyclists, but I prefer that to being surprised by one overtaking close.
Jun 2023
3:26pm, 12 Jun 2023
21,277 posts
  •  
larkim
Locally, I don't understand why the new segregated cycle path, one for each direction of the carriageway, is used by pedestrians when there is a path 3 ft away which is very low use. And especially when said pedestrians run with their backs to the cycle traffic so they'd have no idea someone was coming.

(Locally the build of this was controversial by the usual anti-cyclist brigade as it narrowed the road from one which was capable of accomodating 4 cars wide to one which can accommodate 3 cars wide so they've had to slow down by 10mph for best part of 800m. Outrageous! And whilst it is pretty lightly used by cyclists currently, it does run through a busy section of road which starts in a village and ends at a high school, so hopefully in future it will get better used)

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
Why is being 'jungle fresh' considered a desirable quality in salted peanuts?