Runners in or from Cornwall and Devon

2 lurkers | 6 watchers
6 May
10:19am, 6 May 2024
11,063 posts
  •  
Fields
I did a marathon in Cornwall years ago, forget which one but it was the one that began in Redruth.
6 May
10:27am, 6 May 2024
2,447 posts
  •  
Shades
Fields - that was the Duchy that started in Redruth
6 May
10:50am, 6 May 2024
11,065 posts
  •  
Fields
Ah yes, that would be it, I don’t remember much except there was 1 mile early on where after turning a corner it was a steep uphill and into the wind.
6 May
11:02am, 6 May 2024
52,213 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Hello! South Devon here. 😀

Plymouth is within easy reach - Plymouth HM, Plymouth Valley marathon etc, but even from here, Cornwall sometimes seems a long way away! Having said that, I have ventured down for the Indian Queens HM, the Duchy 20 (Redruth) and one or two other races.

The Eden Project Marathon is definitely on my to do list.
6 May
11:03am, 6 May 2024
52,214 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
“Plymouth Valley” should be “Plym Valley” and I think it’s an event that Shades among others knows well.
6 May
12:15pm, 6 May 2024
2,448 posts
  •  
Shades
♪♫ Synge ♪♫ never heard of Plym or Plymouth Valley. 🙃

I think you mean Plym Trail marathon. Despite the name it's on tarmac.

I've run it quite a few times, not planning to do it again as now the course is shortened to make 4 out and backs, used to be 2 out and backs plus it's cupless which puts me off.

Cornish is one of my favourite marathons, superb event.
6 May
1:32pm, 6 May 2024
52,215 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Yes, Plym Trail, that’s the one! 😀
6 May
2:12pm, 6 May 2024
85,874 posts
  •  
Diogenes
It was breezy in 2007 rather than windy. Mind you, at the point where you turn off the coast road (which you do twice, the second time at 20 miles) I remember being stopped by a combination of the wind and a hill.
6 May
4:48pm, 6 May 2024
21,417 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Plym Trail marathon is ever so gradually (but noticeably) uphill for the first half, then downhill on way back. I know this as I run part of the course most weeks from my office at work. That tunnel is always cold and wet!
6 May
4:56pm, 6 May 2024
40,058 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
I'll be watching this thread as a part-time resident of East Devon. I've done a few short distance races in the area - Powderham Castle Power Run 5 mile (there's a 10 mile option too) most recently. I had hoped to run the Beer Blazer later this month but the family are taking me out for my birthday lunch that day :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Muttley
Are we numerous on this 'ere forum? Is there anything to chat about, once we've agreed that in Kernow we have the jam first and the truth?

And is anyone else doing the Saltash Half tomorrow?