Runners in or from Cornwall and Devon

6 watchers
5 May
4:17pm, 5 May 2024
3,188 posts
  •  
Muttley
The Saltash Half is a great event even when it's hammering down with rain :-)

Tough course with some short sharp and also some long grinding hills, but not a killer. Unfortunately unable to defend my title as fastest M60-64. Three of us in the category this year and I was third. From champ to chump. Oh well. On the plus side, I was 10 minutes quicker than last year so they must be putting something in my tea.
5 May
4:31pm, 5 May 2024
24,620 posts
  •  
Meglet
Calling Fat Dave
5 May
4:51pm, 5 May 2024
2,442 posts
  •  
Shades
Muttley 10 minutes faster than last year is a win IMHO. Well done.
5 May
7:52pm, 5 May 2024
3,189 posts
  •  
Muttley
If I recall correctly last year it was warm and sunny so that's probably why.

Anyone doing the Godrevy 10k on Tuesday (7th May)? Noon tomorrow is the deadline for entering: freedom-racing.co.uk
5 May
8:44pm, 5 May 2024
15,033 posts
  •  
Fat Dave
Thanks, Meglet!

Yup, I'm in Penryn.

Not entirely sure you could call me a "runner" at the moment though.
5 May
8:51pm, 5 May 2024
85,865 posts
  •  
Diogenes
My first marathon was the Duchy in 2007, another race that sadly no longer takes place
6 May
6:18am, 6 May 2024
2,444 posts
  •  
Shades
I've run the Duchy a few times, lovely race. Wasn't there in 2007 though, had to go and check my list.

I've just confirmed my deferred place in the Cornish for this year, 3rd November.
6 May
8:24am, 6 May 2024
3,190 posts
  •  
Muttley
I did the Duchy in 2004 (into a howling gale, my notes say) and 2005. It seems sadly no more, along with the Duchy 20.

We still have the Eden Project in October. I'm in for the half and Muttley Jnr is doing the full, his first.
6 May
9:07am, 6 May 2024
2,446 posts
  •  
Shades
No Eden Project for me, I'm strictly road.

I remember one year with 50mph winds on the coastal section of the Duchy, the drink station blew away and I recorded an 18 minute mile on that section. You might think that was slow but I actually overtook 2 runners in that mile. 🤣🤣

When did life become so complicated, just had to confirm my pasty order for the Cornish...

Steak, cheese & onion, vegan, gluten free steak, gluten free cheese and only, gluten free vegan, or no pasty.
6 May
9:54am, 6 May 2024
15,034 posts
  •  
Fat Dave
I ran the Duchy Marathon in *checks notes* 2011. And the Duchy 20 in 2009.

(Also: I've just discovered I've run one race in the last ten years.)

The Cornish was my 2nd marathon and, weirdly, it remained my PB race even after many attempts at the distance.

About This Thread

Maintained by Muttley
Are we numerous on this 'ere forum? Is there anything to chat about, once we've agreed that in Kernow we have the jam first and the truth?

And is anyone else doing the Saltash Half tomorrow?