Politics

11 lurkers | 212 watchers
15 Aug
3:53pm, 15 Aug 2024
22,905 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
You said you wanted the government to engage with the "fundamentals!" - that is exactly what the hard/far right outriders and the likes of Farage, GB news etc say when they mean they want the government to halt all immigration

If you had a different meaning, you needed to be more careful with what you wanted to say. I'm sorry if I misunderstood, but your language was *very* similar to what those defending the rioters have been using.
15 Aug
4:08pm, 15 Aug 2024
50,713 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I thank you for your apology! :-) Accepted!

The word "fundamentals" expresses what Ieant I think - the things that lie at the base of the feelings and emotions that the opposes have. So I stand by that. We need to engage on those cases- why do they feel so hard done by and why do they think their problems have anything to do with people of a different skin colour or nationality.

And a related question would be why do they think rich white men in positions of power have any interest in their well being or prosperity either.

Both are flip sides of equally wrong thinking and premise.

The answer is probably complex combination of history, story telling, tribalism, influence from powerful sources like right wing media ...

But that's what govt needs to find out then do things about. Fundamental things! :-) G
15 Aug
4:15pm, 15 Aug 2024
50,714 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Bloomin phone - last page was "overt racism" not over racism. Above was "what I meant", "the opposers have", "engage on those causes".

Sheesh! :-) G
15 Aug
4:22pm, 15 Aug 2024
32,920 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Dave W wrote:Elsewhere, Trump’s running mate JD Vance is embroiled in fresh controversy over his “weird” views on women’s rights after audio resurfaced of him declaring in a 2020 podcast interview that raising grandchildren was “the whole purpose of the postmenopausal female”. Vance’s misogyny is really coming back to bite him on the arse. Someone in the Trump camp didn’t do their homework on Vance. Either that or they were just so arrogant because they were up against “Sleepy Joe”. It’s great when they release soundbites from his past gibberings. He really doesn’t like women does he?

At the time they picked him they thought they were on an easy glide path against Biden. And it is supposedly the case that Drumpf was cajoled into picking Vance by Don Jnr and Tucker Carlson, who I guarantee had done precisely zero due diligence on Vance's background.

So, their arrogance and hubris has caught them out. Again.
SPR
15 Aug
4:37pm, 15 Aug 2024
45,708 posts
  •  
SPR
We're talking about Trump's people here and they'd have known he was mini Trump. That might be backfiring now but no one would be surprised by Trump saying anything Vance has said.
15 Aug
5:22pm, 15 Aug 2024
22,027 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Vance was a tactical pick shoring up their hardcore MAGA vote against Biden, on their expected coast to victory, now he's against Harris and they need to tempt moderates, he's a massive weakness and liability.
15 Aug
5:32pm, 15 Aug 2024
32,921 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Yes, a more cleer pick would have been someone who broadened their appeal, but that may have meant a candidate with some smidgeon of independent thinking and empathy. The Don doesnt want that: he wants a rIt's bleakly amusing to see Vance twisting himself into knots defending every imbecilic utterance from the Don.
15 Aug
5:35pm, 15 Aug 2024
32,922 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Oh crikey this new phone does stuff that I don't want it to.

Basically Trump wants a running mate who will be a policy gimp for him, lounging at his feet like Princess Leia did for Jabba the Hutt.

Poor JD, he's up to his neck in shite now.
15 Aug
8:05pm, 15 Aug 2024
21,467 posts
  •  
Dave W
Couldn’t happen to a nicer misogynist. 😁
16 Aug
10:08pm, 16 Aug 2024
6,231 posts
  •  
paulcook
Further to the recent posts about Twitter, someone was jailed today for their part in the riots. Three years, all for posts on Twitter. Turns out his full-time job was posting these far-right hate diatribes. £1,400 a month full-time job too.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.