Politics

30 lurkers | 212 watchers
Feb 2020
12:39pm, 22 Feb 2020
9,577 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
A bot is an automated piece of software that mimicks user activity.

en.m.wikipedia.org

In terms of Twitter, they're used to drive opinion/commentary for or against a particular issue.
Feb 2020
12:41pm, 22 Feb 2020
3,063 posts
  •  
Bob!
so, why are bots allowed?
if they can they be detected, surely they can be removed?
Feb 2020
12:44pm, 22 Feb 2020
9,578 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
That, Bob, I can't answer in either regard.

Either on a technical or policy level!
Feb 2020
12:46pm, 22 Feb 2020
9,579 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
In general though boys can be useful. For example (not maybe the best one) bots are used to drive financial transactions based on movement of share prices.

I can also think of numerous medical applications where data is pushed to a user based on a bot analysing medical data in real time and spotting when a patient needs intervention.
Feb 2020
12:47pm, 22 Feb 2020
9,580 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
*bots not boys

Unfortunate typo
Feb 2020
12:53pm, 22 Feb 2020
8,394 posts
  •  
simbil
Agree, it's more what bots are allowed to do rather than should they be allowed to exist. The bot creators would probably win an arms race in staying ahead of detection if it came to that anyway.

Going back a bit, BoJo and pals don't seem to be driving forward a privileged conservatism, Cummings wants the UK to be a scientific superpower where intelligence and innovation is king and the establishment only exists to server that and the old ways will be treated with contempt.
This must be causing significant friction with the old order of privilege first Tories and I imagine groups like the ERG whilst aligned on leaving the EU will be very split on this i.e. what to do now we've left.
Feb 2020
12:59pm, 22 Feb 2020
9,581 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Simbil - only where the science fits in with their ideology though. Based on what I've read of people who've analysed Cummings's writings (I think there was a guardian article posted on here) - I'm in no doubt if science disagrees with ideology, ideology will win.

Cummings, is in general, more interested in reading down everything to create a chaotic system.
Feb 2020
1:07pm, 22 Feb 2020
7,062 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
I find Cummings’ blogs fascinating, he’s full of interesting ideas though I do think maybe he should be given a sandbox environment to see if the ideas work before he’s let loose on the country.
Feb 2020
1:38pm, 22 Feb 2020
2,025 posts
  •  
Canute
Cummings is not trying to support the traditional hereditary establishment; it appears that he does want a brave new world based on science and innovation; he recognises that alienated disadvantaged people from the former industrial heartlands can help his project. He is an expert at identifying successful populist slogans (‘get Brexit done’). However, I see little evidence that he regards equality as an important feature of his brave new world. Most seriously, he appears ready to sacrifice honesty. Politicians are often ‘economical with the truth’ but outright dishonesty destroys the basis of democracy.
Feb 2020
1:43pm, 22 Feb 2020
9,582 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
One thing I have seen that the govt are doing which I do approve of is that I have seen that they are going to make applying for research grants less bureaucratic and faster in getting a yes/no.

This will be very helpful - it currently can take(on average) approximately 3-6months to write a grant (start to finish), then it's 6-9 months to find out if it's successful and then usually 3months to start date from there.

As you can imagine if you're a postdoc on a fixed term contract (where 3 years is a long one) that timeline is useless.

I think they could go much much further - take names and track records off applications, open them up so that non-permanent staff can apply and limit how much cash can go to Oxbridge/London (and perhaps even Russell group unis) - for starters...but baby steps.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.