Politics

3 lurkers | 212 watchers
J2R
Dec 2019
8:47am, 19 Dec 2019
2,475 posts
  •  
J2R
I'm never so sure about charisma, whether it's a genuine thing any more for figures who are in the public eye. It's something the media can decide to give you or can decide to deprive you of. What the public sees most of the time is the media presentation, not the politician in the flesh standing on the hustings doing his or her thing.
Dec 2019
9:11am, 19 Dec 2019
1,963 posts
  •  
Canute
I agree that public-facing charisma is dodgy.

However, getting sensible plans accepted by Cabinet does require charisma. On the other hand, autocratic leadership is dangerous.
Dec 2019
10:28am, 19 Dec 2019
7,016 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
I suppose Boris gives off good / colourful copy to the press, being a former journalist he knows what gets an editors agenda.
Dec 2019
10:59am, 19 Dec 2019
20,204 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
If public facing charisma is dodgy, you must have really not trusted Obama....
J2R
Dec 2019
11:11am, 19 Dec 2019
2,478 posts
  •  
J2R
I think what I'm really saying is that once the media decides someone has 'charisma', their presentation of that person will always work to burnish that charisma, whereas if they decide the person doesn't have it, they will instead make them look duller. It fits in with the idea of presenting a story.
Dec 2019
11:22am, 19 Dec 2019
15,624 posts
  •  
Chrisull
On the Diane Abbott issue, dare I say that she used to present her self very well, she was an articulate, funny, a firebrand - smart and very on top of things in her younger days. The recent reputation came from where she had as then undiagnosed diabetes and really fluffed some figures up, on a couple of occasions and here recent reputation stems from there (undoubtedly coloured by sexism and racism) onwards. She has never really recovered her former sharpness I admit.

Johnson mangles figures all the time, but I don't see memes of him doing it. Incidentally I recently read an article which suggested white people using memes with people of other races, could be considered racist, even when the memes were meant positively - so for those saying I'm not racist, nothing wrong with a Diane Abbott meme, I suggest think again. Read here for a brief discussion- theguardian.com
Dec 2019
11:24am, 19 Dec 2019
15,625 posts
  •  
Chrisull
And NO I am not calling people who use these memes racist. But I am calling the use of them problematic.
Dec 2019
11:29am, 19 Dec 2019
1,964 posts
  •  
Canute
TRO, just because Obama had exceptional public-facing charisma does not in itself demonstrate that he lacked the personal charisma required to get sensible plans accepted by colleagues and by reasonable opponents. However, sadly the evidence does indicate that he was more successful with his public image than with getting legislation through congress. He did face an especially tough challenge in getting legislation through congress. I do not think there was much reason to distrust Obama personally, but the US political system has been poisoned by excessive partisanship for more than a decade now.
Dec 2019
12:26pm, 19 Dec 2019
3,675 posts
  •  
run free
Think it is not so much a charisa issue with getting plans through, rather a facilitation issue to get buy in
Dec 2019
1:25pm, 19 Dec 2019
1,659 posts
  •  
JRitchie
I think it's a great shame the current public portrayal of Dianne Abbot. Especially when you considering over the whole of her political career as first black female MP, winning parliamentary speech of the year and what how she has risen from humble beginnings being born the same year her parents arrived in the UK as part of the windrush generation. Compare that to entitlement and start from a large part of the front benches and compare how her Type2 diabetes was addressed in the media against Ken Clarke's love of cigars. I'm not saying there have been recent flaws and gaffes, but a disproportionate amount of online vitriol goes to her compared again other female MPs - most of it racist/hate.

Regarding Charisma, I think Diane's local majority did fall a little but has been strengthened significantly since 2015 with negligible Brexit Party / Conservative impact. Clearly some charisma needed to hold those numbers.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.