Over 50's club

321 watchers
22 Feb
11:00am, 22 Feb 2024
51,899 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
thank you ladies
I really wouldn't have thought anything of the timescale if they hadn't said 5 weeks
I didn't sleep again last night and doubt I will tonight
I keep telling myself it's a bad image and all OK but then I panic and see a scene like the CRUK advert where a Dr is telling me sorry ....
22 Feb
11:08am, 22 Feb 2024
120,376 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Pix, you know my current experience and I detest being bombarded with those adverts. They are very unhelpful and geared towards scaring people into donating generously!
I wasn't told what exactly was going on until I pleaded with the radiologist who did my biopsy after a week in hospital!
Most people who are called back do not have cancer. It is usually to do with dense breast tissue, poor imaging and cysts etc.
I found a pea in a breast back in January 2020, just as I received a breastcancer gene diagnosis.
I was squished and scanned and manually checked and they said 95% of abnormalities seen on scans are actually normal differences.
If we didn't scan, we'd never know.
If you had had your squish another day, week, month, it would have looked different. Think about how your boobs change with your monthly cycle!
22 Feb
11:09am, 22 Feb 2024
51,900 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
thanks hann
22 Feb
11:12am, 22 Feb 2024
120,378 posts
  •  
Hanneke
PS the pea was a cyst and disappeared on its own. Had I not had my BRCA1 diagnosis, I would not have done a second self check and would never have know it appeared as it disappeared within a week.
22 Feb
11:26am, 22 Feb 2024
38,732 posts
  •  
Ness
I had my mammogram yesterday and the lady doing the scan said 4-6 weeks before I'm likely to get any results back. I've had mammograms in the past. One in 2018 and one in 2021 and the results came back much quicker than that. Maybe they're a lot busier now.

I think Hanneke is right about the adverts too, Pix.
22 Feb
11:58am, 22 Feb 2024
17,211 posts
  •  
57.5 Days of Pain
Having spent a great deal of time in the hospital recently, and having overheard conversations with people with no or very little sick leave I feel very fortunate to be paid in full for the next six weeks off work. And that my condition is very likely to be cured if I'm patient.

When I worked for New York State you accrued sick leave year on year. So most people would bank a lot of days to use if they were ever ill. There was also an official policy where you could donate your sick leave to others who had exhausted their allocation. If you still had lots of sick leave left on retirement you'd get a bonus in your pension too.
22 Feb
12:02pm, 22 Feb 2024
51,901 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
As I have had some sick leave in the last 12 months (rolling) I would lose pay and only get paid from 3+ days off (think that's right) I would like to think that if it was something more serious that normal illness that the company would not enforce this but given I was asked if I wanted to take my appointment as annual leave I doubt it.
22 Feb
12:11pm, 22 Feb 2024
38,741 posts
  •  
Ness
That sounds harsh, Pix. In teaching there are rules set out in the "Burgundy Book" IIRC. So once you've done 4 years in the job you get full pay for 6 months and half pay for the next 6 months. It's so different in the private sector.
22 Feb
12:13pm, 22 Feb 2024
51,902 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
just been reading the policy and it doesn't even clearly state what payment you get!
22 Feb
12:14pm, 22 Feb 2024
38,742 posts
  •  
Ness
:(

About This Thread

Maintained by Sweaty Frank
Here are the Over 50s League Tables

fetcheveryone.com/league?year=2021&age=50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.